Concerns

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. As some of you will know, I am a newbie to testing, having only been diagnosed about 3 weeks so. As I explained elsewhere, I rather expected to be told I was T2 so started on a campaign to change my diet and lose weight. Since then, I have lost over a stone and my readings have generally been n the range 4.8 - 5.8.

However, in the last couple of days things seem to be a bit different. My bedtime reading last night was 7.8 and fasting this am after 8 hrs sleep was 5.3. Although a bit unhappy about the bedtime reading, I dismissed it as 'one of those things'. I hadn't eaten anything different or unusual.

This morning after breakfast I discovered my BG reading was 8.2 and this was after my usual breakfast of muesli with berries. Normally my post breakfast readings are much lower. I tested on the same finger, using strips from the same box. Am I doing some thing wrong? My diet is substantially a LCHF diet, although I tweak it as I am Vegan.

I am probably worrying about nothing, but I am really concerned. Any ideas?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you do all the usual recommended things such as very clean, dry hands? Did you re-test these unusually high readings? We all get rogue strips from time to time, so always worth some re-tests when that happens.

Reactions: 2 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. @Avocado Sevenfold I don't think I am coming down with anything. In fact I really feel well. I am going to try and take your advice and not worry about it - maybe things will balance out over the coming days.

@Bluetit1802 yes I was scrupulously clean before testing. However I didn't retest! Maybe if there is a next time I will learn from this one.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was your portion higher than usual, muesli, has a few carbs in it.
Was the reading after two hours?
Did you have milk? If so was it full fat, skimmed etc?
But, as the others have said it could be a rogue reading.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @nosher8355 as I am trying to lose weight everything I eat is portion/ calorie controlled so I know everything was the same. As a vegan I avoid cow's milk and use unsweetened soya milk. I've been using the same brand for weeks, so nothing new there either.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nosher8355 as I am trying to lose weight everything I eat is portion/ calorie controlled so I know everything was the same. As a vegan I avoid cow's milk and use unsweetened soya milk. I've been using the same brand for weeks, so nothing new there either.

Hi, just keep a track of what you are doing, keep a food diary and this will help in the future to see trends and if your insulin resistance is better and that your blood glucose levels are coming down.
It will help with your doctor's/dsn reviews.
One tip, reducing your carbs slowly, will help, as will doing an extra half hour walk, to lower bloods. The more weight you lose on a low carb vegan diet should make you feel better after a while. The first weeks are the worst.