Conflicting HbA1c results

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Hi,
I've had well controlled, according to my doctors, type 2 since 2001. For differing reasons I get tested in the UK and Spain, the later I pay for. At the end of May this year my reading in the UK in old figures was 6.2 . Four weeks later my HbA1c was taken in Spain and the results were 5.4. Sounds great but how come there is such a difference, 0.8? My figures have been 6.2 or so for a few years now!
Any ideas, I know I should be pleased but am sceptical. If there's a problem somewhere and it's at the Spanish end I will cancel my tests, after all I'm paying a lot for them?
Cheers eaglet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be the 4 weeks in between tests? The A1c is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months but is heavily weighted towards the latter end of this period, ie the previous 4 weeks. Maybe you just had a better 4 weeks between the tests?

Reactions: 4 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What bluetit says could be correct, when I was first diagnosed I was in hospital and had a HbA1c of 11. Something ( sorry can't remember exact figure but it's in my sig ) I had another test 6 weeks later at the docs to see how I was doing and it came back as 7.4 so it is very possible that you had better control in the 4 week gap

Reactions: 3 people