confused about this

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a pot of Mullar Lite with custard it says he carbs are 18g of which sugars are 13g is this to high to eat as a type 2 diabetic

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Probably yes. Yeo Valley do a natural probiotic yogurt that has only 7g of carbs for a 150g pot, it's really nice but pricey at around 50p a time.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
That's a bit high. What I use is Oaken Greek Style plain yoghurt then get those bags of frozen fruits, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, summer fruits and make my own. Use around 4 to 6 raspberries per 50g of yoghurt. Each 50g then works out around 4g of carbs and 65 calories.

When looking at labels you should TOTALLY IGNORE the "of which sugars" number and always look at the total carbohydrates. You see sugar is just a refined form of carbohydrate and its carbohydrates that primarily effect blood levels not just sugar.

Most packets will label stuff as a certain number of grams of carbs per 100 grams of the product. So if say some yoghurt is 8g per 100g and you end up just eating 50g then the carb "count" will be 4g. If you ate 200g then it would be 16g. Sorry if that's obvious but some people are better at maths than others.

To start with try and aim for around 130g of carbs per day. That's around half the recommended level of carbs of a non diabetic diet. No more than 130g a day is what you would be advised to eat if you were an American under their system.

Now if you have a blood level meter this is when it comes into ints own as you would be able to see if that 130g / day figure keeps you safe. For me it wouldn't and I have to eat less to keep safe but for others it does as they may end up doing a bit more.

Keep asking!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you want a fruit yoghurt try Irish Yoghurts Diet brand. They have no sugar added just sweeteners.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know from reading on here that you count the whole carb. My nurse said you just count the sugars erm erm!!! I told her no you count the whole lot. Are they educated or what.
Mind you I shouldn't call my sister but when I told her I was only eating veg etc she said wheres the carbs, I said in the veg, she retorted veg don't have carbs. Erm I said yes they do, she said I must be in the wrong job then. LOL Shes a nurse, obviously institutionalized.