Confused??? Any ideas/advice please

lindainsomerset

I've been on 2 x 500mg merformin for about 5 weeks, but getting weird readings. For example tonight before evening meal my reading was 7.5 (lowest ever), for dinner I had 2 x quorn sausages and half tin of mixed beans in tomato sauce (0.6g sugar/100g), 1 slice Burgen soya and linseed bread. I had a can of Pepsi Max (sugar free) to drink. 2 hours later my reading was 13.5. Why???? How can this happen with no sugar and hardly any carbs. I feel so confused, and helpless. Any advice would be appreciated.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Linda.
It's not just sugars you need to look at but total carbs. The beans and bread will be carby and I bet there is a wheat filler in the sausages. Some people have a different reaction to different carbs. I react to wheat in any of its forms. Burgen may be relatively low in carbs but my BS rises alarmingly but I can eat any amount of pineapple without much effect at all.

wiflib

MaryJ

hi Linda

I'm still new to all this (only 3 weeks in) but the meal you've described, I think, would be a no-no for me.

Tried so many different breads including Burgen and have had to accept I cannot have bread :cry:

I haven't even considered beans as I remember from very old weight watcher days they were classed as a carb. (Think I will try beans with eggs and bacon and see if they are ok or not)

The way I'm doing it at the moment is to not mix carbs on the plate and measure after that. That way I can be as sure as poss which of the carby foods are ok and which arent.

Plus volume of the carbs is a biggie. I've worked out with testing that i can manage 30g of white rice but no more and no other main carb (chilli and rice - i pick out the kidney beans now - hubby is happy he loves them)

Advice - is test test test. Know what you are eliminating or putting through to the next round!

8)

Grazer

The above posts are right. Interestingly though, baked beans are normally not too bad as the beans themselves are quite low GI. I get reduced sugar and salt heinz beans and am fine with half a small tin.
If, even on low levels of carbs, you find that the metformin is not enough to keep your BGs down, it could be you need to supplement with further medication. Keep notes, and talk to your doctor if you keep getting highs. But do check the total carbs as people have said.