Confused high bgl not going down overnight with boluses

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am still relatively new to being diabetic (6 months) and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what they did about it.

The other night I was surprised to see my blood at 14.1 as I hadn't eaten anything for 4 hours and my 2 hour post meal was 6.6 so I gave myself 3 units novorapid and then started to read/drifted off to sleep. My partner woke me about 3 hours later and I checked again still 14.1. I was a bit weirded out so I double checked it but yeah accurate. I gave myself another 3 units, set an alarm for 2 hours. Slept through that alarm but woke up 4 hours later at 6am 13.8. I gave myself another 3 units and checked again 1/2hr later down to 12.9, two hours later 9.9.

I have been feeling ill on and off lately so I figured that may be an explanation but why wasn't the insulin lowering my levels? Or was it enough to stop me getting way too high? I couldn't check my ketones that night as I have been having trouble buying strips lately apparently pharmacies are having difficulty ordering them but I lucked out the following afternoon was at that time they were only 0.3. This may not be a concern but it scared me a little that night/morning after...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is it possible that you forgot to take your basal insulin on that day/night?

Certainly being ill has an adverse effect on bg levels and all you can do is follow the Sick Day Rules.

BTW, ketones strips are available on prescriptions for people using insulin, just ask your Dr to add them to your repeat.

Reactions: 2 people

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I definitely didn't forget my basal as I was testing my blood as I was injecting it for the first 14.1 reading. I could have been dehydrated possibly.
Oh I live in Australia so I can buy them easily in theory... One of the pharmacists told me that the company just has less than the demand at the moment here.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It couldn't be that you're coming to the end of your honeymoon period could it? You might start to need higher basal doses if you are...

Reactions: 2 people

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reality is sometimes you get bad days where the insulin and BGs just dont want to play ball, and I find corrections are less effective when BGs are high too. During daytime you could be more aggressive but overnight how you managed it was absolutely right, if it was a one off put it down to experience if it repeats then obviously you need to start reviewing your regular basal/bolus

Reactions: 4 people

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Possibly... I have been raising my basal lately as I noticed my bgl creeping up without eating but I have always been able to use novorapid to correct. It's a work in progress I thought I had it correct haha but we shall see : )
thanks everyone!