1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused with my bg levels.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Mummybear3, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Mummybear3

Mummybear3 Type 2 · Active Member

Okay so this morning my fasting levels were 8.7 and I got up late so didn’t have breakfast. Before my lunch they were 9.7 and two hours after 12.1. Only had 3 pork loins and a handful of cherry tomatoes. Before my tea they were 10.1 and two hours after 8.4 I did take my metformin at this time too. I didn’t have noodles in my pork stirfry and had a hand full of strawberries with cream for desert so I was pleased with that level. Then before bed 3 hours later they’ve gone up again to 9.1. I don’t understand how/why this has happened and I’m gutted I’m going to start tomorrow morning with a higher bg. I’m really really trying and being an angel. And this is just so disheartening. Does anyone have any advice as to why this is happening xxx

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, It may have been dawn phenomena (DP) where your liver dumps glucose in the morning to get you started for the day. Some people eat something to stop it, so maybe some cheese, a coffee with cream or a bit of peanut butter might help. Or eat a small breakfast:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mummybear3

Hi and thanks for replying. I’m worried because as I’ve gone to bed my bg is higher again so this will impact tomorrow. I can’t really understand why is going up and not down after I’ve been a diabetic angel. I’ve heard of dp I wasn’t to shocked at my levels this morning tbh. But the increase through the day has me baffled.

4. MeiChanski

Could I ask how long you've been a type 2? I'm just thinking other than DP and despite you are eating low carb, would another GAD and cpeptide test help you understand what's going on? There are some type 2s that are wrongly diagnosed and insulin has helped them. Do you also keep track of what you been eating? Some find that they can go overboard on low carb and still remain high-ish levels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mummybear3

I’ve been diagnosed for a month. But I suspect I have had it years. I do keep track of what I eat. I’m being very rigorous with this. I just feel like I’m getting no where xx

6. Mummybear3

And I’m always starving hungry as I’m just not filling my plate. I don’t really like veg or fish so I am really restricted in what I eat x

7. Mummybear3

I’ve replied to you. Don’t know if you get the notification without me pressing the arrow xx

8. MeiChanski

Sending you a hug, you don't have to eat fish or veg if you don't like it. There are a few carnivore type 2s on here who solely just eat meat. But despite you eating low carb, I think it's best to get the doctor to recheck you - it can be type 1 or type 1.5, your numbers aren't super sky high, but still quite high with low carb.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mummybear3

I think i will do that. If I do eat anything carbs I see levels of 19+ and my levels double so I don’t tolerate any form of carbs well. I have been toying with the idea I may be type 1.5/1 for a while. Thankyou. X

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Mummybear3

Just made the appointment online for Monday xx

• Like Like x 1
  11. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck for Monday- the other things that I have found effects my levels are both exercise and stress. Stress is annoying as once I start worrying about my levels the stress then increases the levels.

Hopefully more tests will help.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mummybear3

I kind of hope something does come back because if it doesn’t then I really don’t know what else to do. I’m not cheating at all. I’m eating next to nothing carb wise. It’s miserable xx

• Hug Hug x 3
  13. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really feel your pain- I'm another who really doesn't like vegetables 9except maybe potatoes). Funnily my 3 children do including one who is vegan. I like fish but don't really like meat. It makes it even worse when you are being 'good' and not even eating the stuff you like and still not getting the results.

Let us know how it goes on Monday!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its frustrating I know but so many things impact on your BG not just carbs ...I m in the throes of the menopause and I have forgotten what its like to have a good night's sleep.This affects my reading in the morning . Also we are all different I find that the longer I leave it before I eat breakfast the higher my BG goes .

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its early days for u so don't feel too disheartened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mummybear3

Update. So basically my doctor said I can’t have the bloods done as they cant refer me to get them done. She asked me why I wanted them doing so I explained my situation etc. She then said let’s just wait and see what your hba1c is in October and take it from there. She completely dismissed all my diary I’ve been doing and said she would prescribe metformin sr because of the adverse effects normal metformin was causing and basically told me to eat carbs, avoid fruit and stick to chicken and pork no red meats!!! I explained how I’ve been doing no carb/ low carb high fat and she said she could see id lost 6kgs in three weeks. But not to do that and to “stock up on carbs “ have a slice of wholemeal bread with my tea!!!!! Omg!!!!! Unreal. She then asked wether I’d heard of the diabetes forum to which I said yes. I have gained a lot of knowledge from reading in there and then in the next breath she told me not to listen to dangerous websites!! She and my previous doctor literally wrote the website down and recommend I join!!!! So what’s that all about lol??? She ripped my food diary and bg readings apart and said I shouldn’t have cream. But didn’t see what my daily intake was for that day and when I explained to her that I only had a small amount but I was completely carb free and was advised to have some fats because eating just lean bits of meat would make me ill. She just laughed and said, well, like I say it’s all about potion control and you have lost 6kg. Excuse my French but I know I’m fat, I know I used to over eat. But is this what it’s all about......I don’t bloody think so. I have just left my appointment feeling very deflated and Confused. Rightly or wrongly I have shovelled a wedge of apple crumble in my face, wrote this and gone to bed. I give up x

• Hug Hug x 3
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Deep breaths.
    I know how exasperating it is to get such contradictory and unreal advice from HCPs

One nurse - in a single appt - told me not to test, to eat 9 portions of brown carbs a day, and if my levels ever went above 12mmol/l to make an appt immediately.

Get the cognitive dissonance in that little mess, eh?

If you really want to get the T1 tests done, you may be able to do them privately, but I am not sure how, or where, you would arrange that, but maybe another member can suggest a place.

In the meantime, just carry on, test and diary, and watch the patterns emerge.
    I also think you should make a list of the foods that you enjoy, and that you miss the most. Post them here. You will be amazed at the number of low carb versions of recipes there are - from lasagne, to black forest gateau.

I had a rather nice chocolate chia muffin for breakfast this morning. With cream. I don't usually eat breakfast, and I haven't had a LC muffin in a loooooong time, but today I REALLY enjoyed it. Around 2g carbs in the whole thing. Which makes it lower than your cherry tomatoes, I think.

Have a hug.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mummybear3

Thankyou. It’s an absolute mine field isn’t it. To be fair the apple crumble was amazing but now my levels are 18.2. I miss everything to be honest. I love spaghetti bolognese. Chilli. Roast dinners. (I didn’t realise cherry tomatoes where so high in carbs) I’ve been eating a few of those so may need to reign them in lol. I don’t eat breakfast either and I swear if I see another egg in any shape or form I will be placed into an asylum for irrational behaviour!!!! I am sick to death of the things!!! I think basically to wade through all of her ******** she was trying to say they will work the meds round my diet, not to change my diet and let them find the balance!!! How bizarre is that! I just feel really let down by them. And now I’ve been referred to an eat well feel great group which I know will all be about calorie control! So my feelings of guilt have come back stronger than ever now. Prejudice at its finest xx

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I got pretty much the same advice you did, plus lots of dairy (which aggravates my rheumatism) and grapefruits (which could've gotten pretty ugly, as I was on statins at the time, and the two don't mix). I think there are options to get tests done privately, but I don't know where and what the involved costs would be. I would, if I were you, look into getting a different doctor. Because this one might kill you, with the nonsense that's being spouted. Pfft!

As for the apple crumble, if it's what you needed, screw the carbs for a moment.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear they won’t do the extra tests. Find it odd they say they cannot refer you for them as they would just need to refer you to an endocrinologist.

There is a paper from Dr. David Unwin that perhaps your surgery should read. I think @Goonergal or @Rachox may have a link. Also your surgery should know that lower carb approaches are finding more approval in the NHS and that “dangerous” as this site supposedly is the DCUK low carb programme is NHS approved and available on prescription.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook