confused with new measurments

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
I'm Diabetic insulin controlled for 17 years my 6 month check reading is between 6.5 and 7.5 however at my last reading at hospital it was 50 its quite confusing when test meters are in % when testing at home and the other one at hospital or doctor how do we convert ? and why was it changed ? when all our equipment is for the old reading :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your meter never was in the same units as your HbA1c, it was just coincidence that the numbers were similar.
ie a 7% HbA1c was an average of about 8.6mmol/l not 7mmol/l ,so rather misleading if you thought that they were the same.

Reactions: 2 people

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea why they changed it huni. Probably "they" think diabetics have life far too easy & wanted to give us a new challenge!!
Seriously though, on the main page if you click on "living with diabetes", then HBa1C converter, it will show you "old" measurement in a trice.

Hope that helps you

Smartie xx

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted something similar on another thread in here. My husband was 6.1 (the last time I can remember) and today it was 43. Even if you do the conversion it doesn't work out, that gives him far too low a reading.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fumanchu said:
I posted something similar on another thread in here. My husband was 6.1 (the last time I can remember) and today it was 43. Even if you do the conversion it doesn't work out, that gives him far too low a reading.

43 (mmol/mol) = 6.1% (DCCT) in old money

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant thanks! When I did the conversion on that site it came up with 2. something which is nonsense :mrgreen: Thanks! :clap:

glennd11

Hi Rogbert, your reading translates as 43 mmol/mol = 6.1% (DCCT) = 7.1 mmol/l. I use the built in converter on an excel spread sheet that i created. Click on thumbnail to view. If you would like a copy message me your email address and i will send you a copy.

screen shot.jpg