Confused

Akash

This might sound really silly so excuse me. My DN and everyone says not too many takeaways etc, and almost no sweets or chocolate i assume this is because they spike your BS levels the most? Being fairly newly diagnosed, i might ask silly things so please excuse me! But surely if you take the right amount of insulin to cover whatever your eating therefore controlling your levels it doesn't matter?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
In the short time I have been taking insulin (6 months) I have found the more insulin you use, the more weight you put on (mainly around the belly)
So am still not having more than 130 grams of carbs a day

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with pilgrim, but yes if you match the insulin correct u will stop the spikes. However, the larger or fattier the meal you will find it hard to match the insulin as often you will get an initial rise in bg levels, and another rise 2~4 hours later. This is because your body can't digest the foods over 2 hours as it is either too big or to much fat slowing digestion. Often when doing this people take an initial dose of insulin followed by another 1~2 hours later to match digestion. This is hard to do and takes alot of trial and error to see how your body copes. Also as said the more insulin used the more weight will be put on. I don't limit my carbs and would say I have a normal (non diabetic) diet, with the occasional treat as a normal person would have. Regular excercise and tight control is key.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app