Confused! !

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone! I was recently diagnosed type 2 after 3 months of blood tests, readings were 53, 58, 63 in that order, by the third blood test I had cut pretty much all sugars out and cut right down on carbs and lost half a stone.

Anyway, the nurse put me on metformin 500mg and said she would contact me in 3 months for a follow on appointment, I have been referred to a diet clinic at my local hospital and am going to go to slimming world or weight watchers.

My reason for posting is because I am confused. I wasn't told to monitor my blood levels, but after reading posts here maybe I should, I dont have a meter, nor can I afford one due to being dismissed after my boss got fed up with the appointments I was given, and am waiting to hear from job seekers (first time out of work and am nervous!!)

Also, are there any 'wonder foods' out there that I can comfort eat when I feel the need to without having any issues from them.

If there is anything else you think I can benefit from please help!!

Thanks in an anticipation guys.
James.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
James, welcome to the forum. Others will doubtless be along soon with some great information and advice,

In the meantime it will assist is you could give some idea of your current height and weight along with a day's general intake of food, preferably as detailed as you can.

In the meantime browse the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

I was diagnosed in May and have found this place to be most informative and helpful in many ways.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jon, im 6ft 3in tall, weigh 20.5 stone, was 21 and losing a bit at a time hence why im going to slimming world for extra help, unfortunately I am a big bloke, as is my entire family!

My meals usually consist of a piece of toast at breakfast, a sandwich or a salad a lunchtime, and dinner is usually a small amount of meat and potato with copious of veg or salad again, cutting the amount of bread and potatoes down is hard as my entire life has been surrounded vlby farmers and this was the main of our diet!! I dont snack, never been a fan of fruit, and dont smoke and maybe drink a pint of ale or cider once a fortnight if I feel up to it.

As for excercise, I live near the beach and not far from moors, so spend a lot of time walking, and having 2 young children as well they keep me active!

Hope this is enough information?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this is what I would do without a meter and high BG and what I did with a meter
no grain, grain product, [bread, pasta pastries etc] no starchy veg [potato etc] or sugary stuff
I wouldn't do weight watchers etc because of the carb,... because your BG blood glucose is rising as you are losing weight, I would get a weekly finger prick test at a chemist or at your DR or off hours place, you may be late onset and not T2

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm carbs don't give up easy
http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/low-carb-mediterranean-diet/
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management
testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
food calculator
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi James, welcome.

I would certainly try and get a meter if you can (SD Codefree probably the cheapest) to see what foods are spiking your blood levels. You say you "cut pretty much all sugars out and cut right down on carbs". I would have thought that would have had some impact on your HbA1c readings but they were rising through the 3 months of tests. You really need to cut out all sugars, what do you mean by 'cut right down on carbs'?

Bummer that you lost your job over the appointments - that doesn't seem right, do you have any comeback on your ex-employer? Ask at the Citizens Advice Bureau to find out where you stand.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Do buy a meter if you can. The SD Codefree from Amazon is quite cheap and has cheap test strips. You can get a meter free from many manufacturers but they charge more for their strips or you can by them off eBay. Yes, keep the carbs down. For snacking etc there is cheese, nuts and fruit berries. Be a little careful with Slimming World and Weight Watchers as some of these people think 'calories' and diabetics need to think 'carbs' (actually everyone needs to think carbs but the message has yet to get thru that low-fat is not the way forward)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jon, im 6ft 3in tall, weigh 20.5 stone, was 21 and losing a bit at a time hence why im going to slimming world for extra help, unfortunately I am a big bloke, as is my entire family!

My meals usually consist of a piece of toast at breakfast, a sandwich or a salad a lunchtime, and dinner is usually a small amount of meat and potato with copious of veg or salad again, cutting the amount of bread and potatoes down is hard as my entire life has been surrounded vlby farmers and this was the main of our diet!! I dont snack, never been a fan of fruit, and dont smoke and maybe drink a pint of ale or cider once a fortnight if I feel up to it.

As for excercise, I live near the beach and not far from moors, so spend a lot of time walking, and having 2 young children as well they keep me active!

Hope this is enough information?
g'day, I would drop the toast and have eggs and sausage mushroom and tomato, drop the sandwich and have low carb lunch

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is all great, thank you. I was completely swamped with all the info the nurse gave me, and wasnt sure whether to get a meter and test or.wait until I see her in december.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Please don't wait till December. Your levels have been rising and you need to start controlling this now. Once you get one we will advise you how best to use it to check out your meals and learn which foods are no good for you personally. There are carbs in everything almost (except full fats), we also need to be careful with milk and fruit. I agree that slimming clubs are not the best way forward diet-wise as they advocate foods that are no good for diabetics.
Read all the nutrition labels on the foods in your cupboard and on the shop shelves. Look for the "total carbohydrate" amount. This is what matters most. You can ignore the "of which sugars" amount. Try to keep under 5g to10g per 100g, and nearer the 5g mark preferably.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks bluetit, I check all the labels when we shop and I get only the lowest amount of carbs, takes a bit of time and drives people mad but its for my health!! I will get a meter ordered and then you can rest assured I will be back for more advice when I get it, unfortunately I have a lot of common semse but am useless when it comes to technical things!!

You have all recommended against weight watchers and the like, so is there a form of excercise that people indulge in to help lose weight, I live near the coast in devon and we all walk a lot, I dont want to go to a gym as I have no self confidence and dont like the idea of people watching me.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bluetit, I check all the labels when we shop and I get only the lowest amount of carbs, takes a bit of time and drives people mad but its for my health!! I will get a meter ordered and then you can rest assured I will be back for more advice when I get it, unfortunately I have a lot of common semse but am useless when it comes to technical things!!

You have all recommended against weight watchers and the like, so is there a form of excercise that people indulge in to help lose weight, I live near the coast in devon and we all walk a lot, I dont want to go to a gym as I have no self confidence and dont like the idea of people watching me.

Walking is excellent. Brisk walking, 30 or more minutes a day. If you are already doing this, then perhaps you could make some of your walks a bit longer. There is no need to go the gym. That would fill me with horror. Swimming is also excellent if you can manage that.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
half hour walk a day, brisk enough that you can't sing, but not puffing

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard swimming is good too, only problem is I cant swim!! I used to play rugby but have got an ankle that is knackered and cant run hence the weight gain. Will carry on with the walking and the diet and see what happens.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack I cant sing anyway, no worries with that! And a 5 minute walk to the shop is brisk, its so hilly where I live its almost like mountain climbing!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Diet is generally more important than exercise but you must have some exercise. I've been a gym member for longer than I can remember. Don't be afraid of the gym. Most of the members of mine are my age i.e. 60+ and varying weights. No one really judges others.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone! I was recently diagnosed type 2 after 3 months of blood tests, readings were 53, 58, 63 in that order, by the third blood test I had cut pretty much all sugars out and cut right down on carbs and lost half a stone.

Anyway, the nurse put me on metformin 500mg and said she would contact me in 3 months for a follow on appointment, I have been referred to a diet clinic at my local hospital and am going to go to slimming world or weight watchers.

My reason for posting is because I am confused. I wasn't told to monitor my blood levels, but after reading posts here maybe I should, I dont have a meter, nor can I afford one due to being dismissed after my boss got fed up with the appointments I was given, and am waiting to hear from job seekers (first time out of work and am nervous!!)

Also, are there any 'wonder foods' out there that I can comfort eat when I feel the need to without having any issues from them.

If there is anything else you think I can benefit from please help!!

Thanks in an anticipation guys.
James.
Hi James welcome to the forum. Re your employer dismissing you I think you should seek advice as, under the Equality Act 2010, you may have a case for unfair dismissal as you appear to have been discriminated against because of having to take time off for necessary medical appointments.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi daphne, I have an appointment with the cab regarding my employment, but its not till mid november, but thats south decon for you! Nice and slow and relaxed. He was an **** though, was awful to me as soon as I told him I was being tested for diabetes!

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James. I think the thing that worked for me was, no snacks. 3 low carb meals a day with enough protein and fat to give me the calories. Nothing between. It is difficult but a few weeks of it made an enormous difference.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been a snacker so find it hard to understand why people do it. However, from a Type 2 point of view it genuinely isn't a good idea to do it regularly unless you snack on something with no carbs. Once you have eaten a meal your levels will rise to a peak then fall again, and you need them as low as possible before your next meal. If you eat between the meals your levels don't get a chance to come back down before you eat your next meal. A piece of cheese or something without carbs would be fine.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont snack between meals, have always had a battle with my weight since I gave up sport so just settled for the 3 main meals. Although I do find myself eating a couple of blackberries when I go for a walk, or a fresh field mushroom when the weather is right for them!

Reactions: 4 people