Confused!

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I went to see the nurse about my recent blood tests as I got a letter through saying I needed to make one due to them being high.
I went to the nurse and she basically said that my first ever blood test was 8.0, and now it is 6.3 she said this has come down a lot and that normal peoples are between 2 - 6 and that I should be really proud...
I asked to explain but she was running out of time due to it being close to closing time, but I don't understand what this means..
Could anybody please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So they are saying your 6.3 is high? That sounds odd!

'Normal peoples' between 2-6 is a scary thought, I don't know anyone that allows there bg to often be 2! It's recommended to have bg's of between 4-8, do you have your own bg machine?

Reactions: 2 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
So they are saying your 6.3 is high? That sounds odd!

'Normal peoples' between 2-6 is a scary thought, I don't know anyone that allows there bg to often be 2! It's recommended to have bg's of between 4-8, do you have your own bg machine?
I think it is like your overall blood? not your blood glucose? because she did a finger prick on the day and it was 5.4? yes I have my own meter

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I think it is like your overall blood? not your blood glucose? because she did a finger prick on the day and it was 5.4? yes I have my own meter
5.4 sounds like a glucose reading the recommended levels are 4.5 to 8.5 so 5.4 sounds ok but what time of day did you go to see her and had you eaten or not before your appointment

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She could have meant it as % which would make more sense.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the UK? Different countries may use different units for measuring glucose levels, and there are also several tests that can be done and these use different units too.

It's worth asking your practice receptionist for a printout of your recent test, so that you know exactly which test was done. I can get copy free but I believe some practices may charge for this.

One test is done your meter (or by a finger prick by the nurse) which measures the level of glucose in your blood at the time it's actually checked, and here in the UK this is measured in mmol/L - e.g.6.4 mmol/L

Another standard test (HbA1c) is done at 3, 6, or even 12 monthly intervals, and measures your average glucose levels over the previous 3 months. This is done by taking more blood froma needle (usually from the inside of your elbow. This used to be measured as a percentage - e.g. 6.4% but this figure is not the same as the regular meter tests you do. Currently your HbA1c test is now measured as mmol/mol in the UK to avoid confusion. So the old 6.4% would equate to 47mmol/mol, which in turn would be equivalent to regular meter readings of 7.6mmol/L.

Have a look here on the main Diabetes UK site to see what the different figures mean diabetes-wise. It will also give links to information on HbA1c checks, and to conversion tables for all the different unit.

Robbity

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be a good idea to have a good look around the site and have a good read about the different measures so you can get an understanding of what they actually mean. If you look at the HbA1c converter http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html it will convert the values for you, hopefully it works. As it sits now you are sitting in the pre diabetic range so you have definitely made some progress there.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Claire,
In the UK it is usual to do an Hba1c test and they do this twice at say a two week interval.
This test shows what your AVERAGE blood sugar has been over perhaps 12 weeks.
One cannot cheat this test it shows what we have been eating, it is what's called a lifestyle test! :)
Your figures do not tally exactly with both kinds of tests that are done.

You have a perfect right to ask for your figures from the surgery on paper so you know what you are aiming for, I would get on to them to give you written info.
best wishes
Derek