Confused

Sunnygirl1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im very anoyed as i had a blood test in feb and a doctor from our surgery rang up and said you have developed diabetis and to start metformin at once. So now after nearly three months of taking them and having severe wind cramps ect and discomfort iv been to see if i can change to slow release ones. My doctor i saw today was a different one who rang me up. I asked her what my blood glucose was at the blood test and she said it was normal !!! I said but i wasnt on the metformin when i had the test so why was I told it was necessary to go on these tablets. She was confused as well and told me to stop taking any more untill she finds out what the problem is. It seems imay not have diabetes after all so got to go for another blood test to see. But im very anoyed. Has anyone else heard of this.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds strange Sunnygirl. Do you happen to know what the numbers for the blood glucose levels were?

There are a couple of possibilities here.

- Perhaps the new doctor only looked at your fasting BG levels whereas the original doctor diagnosed your diabetes from your HbA1c levels (a more accurate indicator of your long term average blood glucose levels).

- Perhaps the original doctor only detected the slightly elevated levels of "pre-diabetes" and decided to try early intervention.

If you can get the actual number (fasting BGL and HbA1c) then I'm sure we could offer more information. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, how confusing. You will only get to the bottom of matters by asking for a print out of your test results. Then you will know exactly which tests you had and what the results were, then you can decide who was right. Just ring the surgery and ask for them. If it does turn out you are diabetic, you will need these print outs to help you in the future - unless you know where you start from you will have no idea whether you are improving or not. We diabetics have regular blood tests, initially every 3 months, so to avoid having to remember all the results over years, best to have them on paper.

Sunnygirl1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well im going for another blood test on friday. This time a fasting one (which i didnt have last time ). Iv then got to see the doctor in 10 days from now. She said the result was only borderline so confused

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
She said the result was only borderline so confused
Well that really explains it then. It was a borderline call, so one doctor decided that intervention was warranted at this time, and the other one didn't. Mystery solved.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Find out what your actual levels are and post them here. For some people metformin is no problems, while for others the side effects are a real pain. The good news is that often dietary modifications can be more effective than metformin anyway. :)