Considering going from diet only straight to insulin

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi folks,

I'm still on my roller coaster ride of healthy, low carb eating (kind of), avoiding sugary foods and eating plenty of fruit and veg.

I'm a bit disappointed today to have taken a reading of over 12 having had 2 rolls (wholemeal) and sausage about one and a half hours ago.

I'm convinced I was T2 for at least a year before it was diagnosed and already have neuropathy, eye and kidney problems.

Having read part way through the book "The first year T2 diabetes" I'm at a chapter now (week 4 - page 146) where she suggests that instead of the usual "trial and error" sequence of diet only, then one pill, then two or more pills, then finally insulin; for some it may be better to go straight from diet only to insulin.

Her reasoning here is that for many (me included) internal organ damage may have already been done and possibly quite serious damage, before T2 is diagnosed. Therefore, rather than subject your body to several more months of raised BG whilst the medical profession try and get it under control, the answer may be to go straight onto insulin, get your BG stablised at the corect level, then either try and wean yourself off insulin or just continue with it to keep your BG stable.

I have to say that this makes a lot of sense to me right now as the last thing I want is for my feet, eyes or kidney function to deteriorate any more whilst I an fiddling about trying to get my BG down.

What do other T2's think?

Have any of you followed this path already? If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks,

Jim

bedshaped2000

the carbs in the roll are phenomenal ardbeg. also i only eat the high % of pork in sausages. i have found black farmer sausages that works out about 2 carbs for 3 sausages. some of the sausages i used to eat where 8 carbs each! i stay away from bread aswell even the nimble stuff which is 8g of carb per slice. i made a cheese sand wich with this stuff and sitll went into the 10s. god knows what it would have been on normal bread considering most of the bread is 15g of carb PER SLICE

C

catherinecherub

It is early days yet Ardbeg.

You need to get the hang of reducing carbohydrates to a level that suits you and to incorporate a balanced meal. One roll, a sausage and some salad items may have produced a totally different reading? I follow portion control and balance.

I know that in America it is common to put type 2's straight onto insulin to give their pancreas a rest. This is not for the rest of their life for all as some do come off the insulin and follow this up with medication. We seem to do it the other way round here. Some posters see insulin as a last resort. I personally, do not. Speak to your G.P. about your views and ask him for advice. If he cannot help, then ask for an appointment with an Endo.

Keep up the testing and see how you go.

Regards,
Catherine.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Catherine.

That's exactly the point that the author of the aforementioned book makes too. Sadly, many unenlightened GP's here in the UK almost use the prospect of going onto insulin as a kind of threat or proverbial stick to beat you over the head with if you've been a "naughty boy or girl" by not sticking to your diet or of your a1c reading goes up instead of down. "If you don't buck up your ideas and stick to the diet we gave you I'll put you on insulin"..........

Unless others on this forum can convince me otherwise, the way I'm feeling today I will be asking my DN to put me on insulin the next time we meet in March.

Of course, tomorrow my "mood" may be totally different. It's not only the fairer sex who can change their mind you know.... :wink:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Good point, I hadn't thought of any consequences such as that.

It would make sense to have a positive and negative list on this thread then too, wouldn't it?

For me, the positives that immediately spring to mind are:

1. My BG levels should come down much quicker than by diet alone, thus minimising further internal organ damage

2. All my prescriptions would be free

3. More flexibility/freedom with diet as low carb wouldn't have to be so strict/rigid

On the negative side:

1. The prospect of having to jab myself several times a day, possibly for the rest of my life

2. What exactly does DVLA say about insulin controlled diabetes? Retest - lose your licence?

bedshaped2000

once you go on insulin your lgv license is revoked due to hypnos. if you come of insulin you need to prove your hypnos have stopped and have a medical every year on top of your annual one from your gp. at the moment im on diet and exercise and petrified of going on meds. i dont need a medical until i hit 45 just the same as any lgv driver. so its 3 regular meals a day maybe the same ones up to 4 times a week. but my partner and kids need feeding and its a small price to pay to watch your kids growing up. the money i save from not eating **** all day has allowed me to drop 14 inches off my waist and 7 stone in weight loss. i now spend my money on new clothes which i could never fit in and posing in the pub with my coke zero and walnuts lol. i get ripped at work but like i said a small price to pay. all i remeber is diabetes saved my life it didnt ruin my life. with out diabetes i rekon i would of been heartattack material yes even at 37. ive gone from pizza stella and chips to fish celeriac and veg . what a transformation!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I hear you loud and clear.

I too was a heart attack waiting to happen and therefore view my T2 diagnosis positively and as a wake up call.

Back to driving for a second. Is it only HGV licences that are affected? What about the regular driving licence? Would the same apply to car drivers?

Thanks,

Jim

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ardbeg said:
Back to driving for a second. Is it only HGV licences that are affected? What about the regular driving licence? Would the same apply to car drivers?
Jim

Hi Jim.
This is the current information regarding your question:
GROUP 1 ENTITLEMENT....Car/Motorcycle
INSULIN TREATED Must notify DVLA unless only temporary, then you only need to notify if treatment is for longer than 3 months.
Must recognise warning symptoms of hypoglycaemia and meet required visual standards. 1, 2 or 3 year licence, dependent on Medical advice.

Drivers are sent a detailed letter of explanation about their licence and driving by DVLA.
Here is a sample of the letter:
Information for drivers of cars or motorcycles with Insulin Treated Diabetes

Drivers who have any form of diabetes treated with any insulin preparation must inform DVLA

EYESIGHT
All drivers are required by law to read, in good daylight, a car number plate from a distance of 20 metres or 20.5 metres where the old style number plate is used.
You must inform DVLA
• If you are unable to meet the number plate requirement.
• Of any problems that affect your field of vision.
• Of any conditions that affect both eyes or the remaining eye if you have sight in one eye only
• If you have had laser treatment to both eyes for retinopathy, or to the remaining eye if monocular.

HYPOGLYCAEMIA
The risk of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) is the main hazard to safe driving. This may endanger your own life as well as that of other road users. Many of the accidents caused by hypoglycaemia are because drivers continue to drive even though they are experiencing warning signs of hypoglycaemia. If you experience warning signs of hypoglycaemia whilst driving you must always stop as soon as safely possible – do not ignore the warning signs.

You must inform DVLA if:
• you suffer more than one episode of disabling hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) within 12 months, or if you or your carer feels you are at high risk of developing disabling hypoglycaemia.
• you develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. (difficulty in recognising the warning symptoms of low blood sugar)
• you suffer disabling hypoglycaemia while driving.
• an existing medical condition gets worse or you develop any other condition that may affect you driving safely.

LIMB PROBLEMS
Limb problems/amputations are unlikely to prevent driving. They may be overcome by either restricting driving to certain types of vehicles e.g. those with automatic transmission, or by adaptations such as hand operated accelerator/brake.

You must inform DVLA
• If you develop problems with either the nerves or the circulation in your legs which prevent safe use of the foot pedals.

Drivers with insulin treated diabetes are advised to take the following precautions:
• Do not drive if you feel hypoglycaemic or if your blood glucose is less than 4.0 mmol/l.
• If hypoglycaemia develops while driving stop the vehicle as soon as possible in a safe location, switch off the engine, remove the keys from the ignition and move from the drivers seat.
• Do not resume driving until 45 minutes after blood glucose has returned to normal. It takes up to 45 minutes for the brain to fully recover.
• Always keep an emergency supply of fast-acting carbohydrate such as glucose tablets or sweets within easy reach in the vehicle.
• Carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. Check blood glucose before driving (even on short journeys) and test regularly (every 2 hours) on long journeys. If blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack before driving.
• Carry personal identification indicating that you have diabetes in case of injury in a road traffic accident.
• Particular care should be taken during changes of insulin regimens, changes of lifestyle, exercise, travel and pregnancy.
• Take regular meals, snacks and rest periods on long journeys. Always avoid alcohol.

CONTACT US
Web site: http://www.direct.gov.uk/driverhealth
Tel:0870 600 0301 (8.00am. to 5.30pm. Mon – Fri) & (8.00 am. to 1pm. Sat)
Write: Drivers Medical Group, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1TU
E-mail: [email protected] Rev: Aug 08

This is a short extract, the full information document is available for download at this link:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/ataglance.aspx

Ken