Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Sounds good, perhaps too good. Will be available later this year and will then have to success at the NICE process so maybe approx two years or even further away.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would be so much easier if we could have a CGM that was widely available and took away the need to prick fingers multiple times a day, obviously cost is a major factor with current CGM and we can only hope that the running costs are substantially less with this Abbott device.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the killer will be its cost. I'm looking into self-funding a CGM, but they are painfully expensive. Not sure how this one differs, but I think the price point would have to be so much lower for them to be approved on the NHS.

Smidge

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree with Smidge, great idea but I would think cost would prohibit NHS handing them out freely. Shame though.

Njieberridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat Walkers Crisps, and Biscuits, grumpy people
Wow, just read the article, I am SO into this , going to start saving, my finger tips are so sore!!!, but if I want to keep good control I have to test about 5-6 times a day, thank god I don't have to pay for the testing strips :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I agree that the cost issue is the key; but the article implies that it tests once every 15 minutes rather than all the time (like a CGM) so perhaps that of itself will bring the costs down?

The device itself is called "The Libre" - so I'll have a google about it.

Best

Dillinger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree that the cost issue is the key; but the article implies that it tests once every 15 minutes rather than all the time (like a CGM) so perhaps that of itself will bring the costs down?

It may well do. I use Accu-chek strips and I think the cost to the NHS is around £16 for a box of 50, as I get 200 every 4-5 weeks that's £64 alone without the lancing devices, if the cost of The Libre was on par or below then surely it makes sense for the NHS to fund this (or similar) CGM's.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be happy to pay for it myself, It could be the way for me to get my job back.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I already have exceptionally cheap, and highly effective Continuous Glucose Monitoring.

Using it, I can quite happily take a result every fifteen minutes. (The cost is around 2 or 3 pence each time.)

But I find that around once per waking hour is just fine.

Moreover, I don't have sore fingers.

For I never ever have to use those nasty, viscious, snappy spring-loaded gadgets to get a blood sample!

Instead, I gently jab the side of my finger with a bare lancet - just as I have done for 30 years.

And rather than bother with a flaming meter all the time, I mostly use visually read strips. (http://www.betachek.com/uk/)

Each strip can be cut with scissors into four striplets.

And that makes my Continuous Glucose Monitoring very good value.

My last three HbA1c readings were 27mmol/mol.

But my diet is crucial too. I couldn't safely get such readings with a normal diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see how this is a breakthrough - it may be a bit smaller than a CGM, and a bit cheaper (hopefully but that's really an incremental improvement.

Also, it no need do calibration was mentioned, which is interesting.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After having a Abbott CGM, I would never consider having another product from them.

I told them for months and months and months there was a problem with low readings... They denied and the MHRA asked them to investigate themselves!! Eventually they recalled all their blood strips used to calibrate their cams because they read too low...

So any product by Abboot is no way on my wish list....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The bottom lecture on this page from the EASD conference last year is I think describing this new cgm. It's presented by Jared Watkin, mentioned in the article as the designer. It has sensors that don't need fingerstrip calibration and last for 14 days. It doesn't transmit continually to a receiver, you pass the receiver over the sensor every so often, it receives, displays and stores the info.
The video spends the first 6 min describing how they tested the sensors to ensure that they had 14 day coverage, from then on there is a picture and description of the system , followed by data on a small trial. There is no mention about potential cost, though it is implicit that this is one of the things they are addressing (they say that one of the drawbacks in CGM is that not many people use it because of lack of reimbursement. )
http://abbottnextfrontier.com/resources/pages/easd-2013

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they give ANY indication when this may be available on the market?