Constantly hungry, help

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed with type 1 8 days ago and i'm struggling with my food - having just 3 meals a day without too much snacking because i'm constantly hungry. Wondering if anyone has ideas on what foods I can snack on or more filling meals.

Ausra

I know the feeling.. When i was just diagnosed i was eating crazy, nothing would fill me up. Good news: it's going to pass just try to keep your sugars stable. 3 years on and my appetite is completelly gone, nothing taste good anymore so try to enjoy the food till it makes you happy:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
mushrooms mushrooms and mor mushrooms ya gotta love mushrooms :)read up on mushrooms got a lot of vits ect in them

It will pass. It's quite normal whilst blood sugar is relatively high. I'd suggest the following

- try 6 smaller meals rather than 3 large meals to even out the intake of carbs and therby even blood sugar with a morning, afternoon and evening snack being lower carbs than breakfast, lunch and dinner if you take your insulin before eating
-add a good serving of steamed broccolli, steamed string beans or steamed brussell sprounts to your lunch or dinner - they are high in fibre, low in carbs and help keep blood sugar low - high fibre foods help you stay full and slow the rate of transit of the food through the digestive tract which also wards off hunger
- soak a handful of nuts overnight in water and snack on theses - almons are particularly good - low in carbs and high in good fat and calcium - soaking improves how easily they are digested
- add a few slices of avocado to your meal - they are high in good fat and low in sugars, moderate carbs

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does pass. When I started and had those cravings for a taste hit, I used to make up a lemonade using chilled supermarket zero calorie, zero carb and probably, zero lemon lemonade. But I'd squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon into it and add in the yellow flesh, which is high in soluble fibre. It's better than any gourmet lemonade and sends your taste buds tingling. Fills you up for a while too.