constipation

kentishman

I have been a t2 Diabetic for many years. No I seem to have developed very bad constipation and it is a real effort to have my bowels open. I believe some experts equate this with Diabetes. Any other sufferers?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Constipation has many causes, some drug side effects etc.......it isn't just Diabetes. Diet has a part in this most times. There have been a few posts about the subject. If is causing you a problem then you should discuss it with your GP as there are several effective remedies available on prescription.

Here is a list of the types of laxatives available which I posted in one of the other threads. Which type is suitable depends on the type of constipation....

All Laxatives are not the same.
Manevac (Senna) is a stimulant laxative that increases intestinal motility and can often cause abdominal cramps, they should be avoided in intestinal obstruction. It really is only speeding the process up rather than softening the stools which is probably what may be needed. If they don't work then an Osmotic Laxative should really be considered. Something that softens the stools and allows an easier bowel movement.

It may be that what you have been prescribed just isn't suitable for you and your particular type of constipation. This one also isn't really advisable for DIabetic's because of the sugar content. Ask for a sugar free laxative. One that softens the stools rather than one that just encourages the bowel to just empty. Movicol is a good example........an Osmotic laxative.

There are four types of laxative and each type works in a different way.

Bulk-forming laxatives
Bulk-forming laxatives contain fibre and act in the same way as the dietary fibre that you eat.
Bulk-forming laxatives increase the bulk of your faeces, making them heavier and softer. The extra bulk encourages your bowel to contract and move your faeces through so that it can be passed.
Bulk-forming laxatives can take a few days before they are effective. They are taken by mouth (orally) as powders, granules, or tablets.

Stimulant laxatives
Stimulant laxatives speed up the movements of your bowel. They usually take between six and 12 hours to work. Stimulant laxatives come in many different forms, including tablets and liquids, which are swallowed. They are also available as suppositories and enemas that are inserted into your rectum (back passage).

Osmotic laxatives
Osmotic laxatives help to make your faeces softer by increasing the amount of water in your bowels. Like bulk-forming laxatives, they usually work after a few days.
Osmotic laxatives come in several different forms, including powders, liquids and enemas.

Stool softener laxatives
Stool softener laxatives work in a similar way to osmotic laxatives; they add water to your faeces to lubricate it, making it more slippery and easier to pass. They are taken as capsules, or enemas, and usually take one to two days to work.

There are also many other things that can cause constipation. You should drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres daily and eat fiber rich foods such as fruit, vegetables and cereals as well. Exercise and upping fats sometimes (not too often) also can help. They all help the digestion and the GI processes work better.

Here is the link to more information about constipation and possible causes:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... pation.htm

It is quite possible that one of the types of laxative as listed above may cure the constipation. Do not take over the counter laxatives either unless they are specifically mentioned as suitable for Diabetic's, sugar free versions such as Movical.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I hope you've solved it since you originally posted. However, if not, try rhubarb. It's very low carb (check the book), can be sweetened with diluted Splenda tablets while stewing, and you can add bran or flax seeds for greater effect. The fresh is just coming into the shops, too, though not English yet. Serve with cream or live yoghurt if you prefer low fat.

Metformin seems to have solved my problems! :lol:

Don't ignore bowels, though. If it persists, see your doctor.

V

ally5555

Hi Ken

Where did you get that figure from - I just checked on my analaysis package and 100g rhubarb = 0.8g CHO / 100g

Allyx

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Rhubarb :? - the (2011) Bible say an average raw stalk is 4.5g carb, which is higher than I thought. I was more in the order of Allyx's figure, which I think I got from the Collin's Little Gem. Splenda tabs are supposed to be 0.5g carb per tablet but equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar in sweetness.

Bernstein says the powder form of Splenda is a no-no for diabetics, because the maltodextrin which bulks it up acts like glucose.

Maybe there's been some confusion in the sweetening? Maybe it's one of those things that hits different people differently?

I'll stew some from the freezer and see what happens. It will be interesting to see how it reacts with metformin, so I might leave it until next weekend, when I'm at home :lol: . I'll eat it for lunch, with cream, one day and let you know my test results. Watch this space!

V

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I refuse to be drawn into the Rhubarb debate again..........Ally. :lol: :wink:

Ken
xx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Yakult lite is pretty good. the effect isn't quick, but works over a longer time.
Hana

ClaireG 06

I was having problems thanks to gliclazide. A nutritionist friend of my Aunt's told me to try flaxseed oil tablets. Since taking them i've had no problems :D

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Metformin gave me serious constipation..

it started about 2 weeks before i stopped taking metformin.. and ended about 3 weeks after

in all at 1 point i didnt go for about 3 weeks, it was causing serious pain so much that if i could have moved i would probably have called an ambulance.. i'd tried all sorts of laxatives but nothing worked

once it had sorted itself out the doctor put me on gliclazide, but that started to go the same way along with a few more side effects, so tried Gliclazide MR same story

in the end i refused any further tablets, after a month or so and feeling ever worse from the DB my consultant prescribed insulin, a month later no side effects and im feeling better again

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
At the risk of boring some of you long-termers (please remember I'm new to this!) I kept my promise to have some rhubarb today, so here's what happened. Sorry if it's a bit long-winded, but I found it interesting.

Background - I'm low carb, between 20g and 40g per day. My usual routine:

Up at 07:30/08:00; test; white coffee + Splenda tab. Breakfast 09:30/10:00, a 2-egg omelette; test 2 hrs later. Lunch about 13:30 - fish or meat salad + first metformin of the day. Test 2 hrs later. Snack of cheese, sometimes with 2 Ryvita, about 17:00. Evening meal, meat + veg 19:30/20:00 + second metformin; test 2 hrs later. Test at bedtime (between 22:30 and midnight).

I'm supposed to be on 3 metformin per day but I've dropped it to 2 for the moment, mainly because of lack of carbs betwen waking and lunch. My levels are highest at fasting - between 5.5 and 6.2 usually. They drop during the day, then rise again a little in the evening; usually around 5.4/5.8 at bedtime.

Today: 07:30 - 5.9
09:00 - 2 egg omelette
11:00 - 5.6

Then ate 120gm of rhubarb microwaved with 3 splenda tabs diluted for sweetener, + cream.
That was fine for my taste - equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar, and quite sweet enough!

Carb content: Collins Gem - rhub 1.6g, splenda 1.5g. Cream nil
Carb Bible 2011: rhub 5.5g splenda 2.1g. Cream nil

Tested at 12:30 'cos felt odd - bg 3.9
Ate 2 dextrose tabs. 12:45 - 6.3 Had lunch immediately, usual salad + 1 shortbread finger as a carby snack.
15:00 - 5.8 First metformin of the day - 2 hours later than usual.

Normally my levels do not drop to under 4, even if I don't eat for up to 5 hours between breakfast and lunch, as has happened twice this week. I had not done any exercise - as someone appears to be trying to transfer the entire contents of the Atlantic Ocean to Wensleydale, all I've done is get the milk in and sit at the computer.

Any comments, please?

I'm wondering if my insulin resistance is improving rapidly, but my poor abused pancreas hasn't realised yet and is still producing over-large quantities of insulin, a response that was triggered by the mere act of eating the rhubarb - I believe there's a physiological mechanism that does that?