Constipation :(

Finzi

Anyone got any good food suggestions for constipation? I think I have been low carbing (or rather, high protein ing - I'm sure it isn't lack of carbs that are the problem) rather too vigourously, and as a result am, ahem, rather "bunged up". I have bought some psyllium powder from Holland and Barrett (it is really horrible mixed with water and drunk, could I mix it with a little yoghurt and eat it instead, and then just drink the water?) I've also bought some flax seed which is very nice mixed with yoghurt. I am going to make a conscious effort to up my veggies and salad over the next few days, but most of the food that I can think of to help with bring bunged up is fruit, like prunes etc, and I've been avoiding fruit entirely.

The other problem is that I can't drink loads and loads, because I've got heart failure, although I am allowed maximum of 2 liters a day, just not any more. Any drinks that are particularly good? Coffee? Or just water/sugar free squash? Getting a bit discouraged cos I feel really huge and bloated, and haven't "gone" for days (at least five)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having previously suffering same as you, i actually ended up in a&e 3times in 3 months.

I jave had so much different medical advice from gastroenterologists and other HCP's. One told me to eat low fibre, low fat. Another to concentrate on fruit and veg that crunch when you eat them, another to carry on eating exactly how I do approx 8 fruit and veg portions a day.

There could be a number of reasons for constipation.. Another reason can also be not drinking enough water..

Not much advice about whether low carbing is cause or not, because I got mine even though I eat really healthy with fruit n veg, I have never low carbed. My only concern would be that you should eat veg or fruit to get a fuller range of essential vitamins. I am a believer in a balnced diet of white meat/fish and veg for main meals, I dont have pasta, rice or potatoes but thats not because of liw carbing. I do eat bread, pancakes etc.

I found dulcoease one of the best things. However my probs stopped or eased up so far, when I stopped eating jelly babies as hypo stoppers...

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
eat fats

that IS the answer

the fats in your diet move you properly

you do not need ANY fibre lol

but it does take about a week for your body to adjust from having fibre to using fats for proper movement

I make sure that about 50% of what I eat is from fats such as walnuts and eggs for example

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
http://www.biblelife.org/fiber.htm

quoting from above

The ultra low-fiber, low-carbohydrate, high-fat, high-protein diet suppresses the pathogenic bacteria and yeast in the colon to give perfect bowel movements. The stool is firm but soft, and passes easily.

Finzi

Oh dear I'm confused now! I've just been assimilating low carbs, this is a new thing lol! But it does seem to make sense. I really like the flax seed and yogurt though, I might stick with that. But I can certainly try to add some more fats , I thought I probably wasnt having enough

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gosh that an education.... Why do all gastros talk about fibre.. Crunchy fibre to make your stomach work?

I'm confused now too, i eat pllenty of walnuts and have a few eggs each week..

I think jelly baby gelatin lined my colon so that poo couldnt get enough of anything to moisten and soften the poo. Not proved though...