dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi All,

Not sure this is the right place but as I have not received any actual confirmation of any diagnosis from a medical professional regarding pre-diabetes or type 2 etc I suppose it is best here.

I am 37 and there is a history of type 2 diabetes in my family, I am morbidly obese and notice when I change my diet to chicken and green leafy vegetables and water during my many attempts to lose weight and change my lifestyle, my thirst decreases. Conversely, when I fall off the wagon as it were and eat whatever my thirst increases. With this in mind and the increased chances through being overweight and the genetic history I bought an accu check aviva to see what my bloods were like.

It arrived today, conveniently enough around 2 hrs after my lunch (really bad unhealthy lunch), my result was 24.8mmol... I suppose I am diabetic?

There are other clues that have led me to think I could be on my way to diabetes but like the cowardly fool I am I chose to ignore them. I won't go into details here but I would guestimate, using the other clues that this has been coming on for the last 12-18 months.

What should be my first course of action (aside from getting back onto the healthy low glycaemic index and plenty of water), should I take more tests over a period of time or contact my doctor. I am one of those who don't tend to bother my doc until and unless i know something requires attention. However, if I take more readings of my bloods over time, it will give the doctor a clearer picture of what is happening.

The nagging voice says contact the doctor, the don't bother them yet voice says see how I go and take more tests first over a couple of weeks and see how things go.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Contact your Dr - tell him your reading & ask for him to test. But at that reading & with your symptoms it is a foregone conclusion.

Your will be given dietary advice, but some of that is best ignored - especially the recommendation to base your diet around "healthy carbs" & to cut down on fats. Daisy's advice to newly diagnosed applies.

I'm sure you now want to take action to improve your health & lifestyle by losing weight & getting your diabetes under control. Stay with us, ask your questions, & look forward to a new lease of life.

Grazer

You should contact your doctor as soon as possible. Only he could diagnose you, but that is a very high figure, and i would be amazed if you WEREN'T diabetic to be honest. You need to take things in hand quickly to get those very high levels down; they are damaging you whether you know it or feel it or not.
When you're diagnosed, come backi here and we can talk about a sensibloe approach to diet to help control your blood sugar levels; meantime, make the call now.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A reading of 24.8 is very high and needs to be investigated.

Make an appointment to see your Doctor now. In the mean time lay off the high carbs, you know in your heart you need to get this sorted so messing about taking further readings is just a way of delaying what you need to actually do.

Oh ...and..... welcome to the forum. :)

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Ok, have just read the response from Ian (the other replies weren't there at the time) and rang the doctor's. I have depression and have not been out the house for the last 16-ish months, so they are going to ring back with a telephone consultation with a doctor and I will take it from there.

I feel a bit scared tbh, after seeing what happened to my dad but I will have to have a good read round this site and familiarise myself with all the details on how best to manage it. I am hoping diet control will be sufficient but II don't suppose I can rule anything out until the doctors get involved and let me know whats happening exactly.

The butternut squash soup is coming out tomorrow, along with some exercise.

p.s. can I just say many thanks for the replies and warm welcome, you have been great

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dazzer

Depression is also common with Diabetes, speak to your doctor and once he confirms your diagnosis then come back to us. We can help you to cope with this, we've all been in your position with the diagnosis and many of us have had depression too. We can give you lots of advice and help to sort your diet out and you probably won't feel hungry and will loose weight.

Remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Ann

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dazzer
I am no expert but from reading around on this forum for the last few years I would say dont crash diet ,cut your carbs down but it can be bad if you drop your BGs too quickly .Eat plenty of veg and protein lean meat and fish ,dont starve yourself you will feel ill and also miserable there is loads of good advice on here about what to eat and if you test before meals and after 2 hours your meter will tell you how you are doing ,a gradual reduction is great .I would think your GP would want you to have a HbA1c blood test which gives an average over 3 months and then you can work on that figure .Try not to worry too much DB is no fun but it is managable and ther is lots of help and advice on here and other forums .We know how you feel cos we have been there
CAROL

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Ian, can I just check that this is the advice from daisy?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Ann19 and Carty, thank you very much for your messages, I think my head will be in bits trying to get it around what I should and shouldn't be eating.

I like to think I had the theory of a good diet (above ground leafy vegetables, lean chicken and fish) even if i couldn't always achieve it in practice but I really don't know the ins and outs of that diet/lifestyle with regards diabetes management so it will be a very steep learning curve e.g. I have just read a post from a lady whose blood sugars rose higher than expected after some lentil soup... I would have never realised that.

I suppose the key is in conjunction with whatever medical advice I get over the coming weeks I will test regularly before and after meals to try and help build a picture of what foods affect the readings and by how much.

As ever, many thanks for your advice.

As I was writing that the doctor has just called and asked me to take another test, it read 18.4 so has come down since 14:30 this afternoon when I took the first test, but obviously is still extremely high. He has arranged for me to have some tests done tomorrow so I suppose i will know more then but he more or less told me I am diabetic. Oh ******.

Grazer

Can be a minefield Dazzer! Don't worry, it needn't be as tough as you think. Here's my approach:-

In general terms you will need to reduce the total number of carbohydrates you eat per day. All carbohydrates turn to sugar when we eat them, and no type 2 diabetic on diet only, or on diet and metformin only, can control their blood sugars (BGs) without controlling their carb intake. Even those on strong medication normally choose to control their carb intake to keep the level of medication they take down. The total number of carbs per day you can eat depends on how advanced your diabetes is. It’s perhaps worth starting at about 50% of normal levels for a non-diabetic then adjusting up or down according to how you get on. So that means eating 150 grams of carbs per day for a man, 125 for a woman. You can read the total carb content of food under “nutritional info” on the packet or wrapping, or look it up on the internet for loose food. Just google “carb content..”
You also need to stop or reduce the bad carbs; that is the starchy ones that make your BG go up quickly.
So obviously no sugar or glucose! But also no white bread, white rice, pasta, flour products like pastry, cake and batter. You can eat a little basmati rice, wholewheat pasta or the tri-color pasta fusilli ones in small quantities. Boiled new potatos (again not too many) are OK but not old pots mashed, boiled or in their jackets. (Roast is not so bad, the fat slows their absorption and conversion to glucose in the blood) Amongst other veg, parsnips are about the worst for BG, and carrots not great but ok in smaller amounts.
Multi grain bread (not wholemeal) is not SO bad, but lots of us eat Burgen soya and linseed bread from tescos and sainsburys, although all bread should be in limited amounts.
All fruit has carbohydrates, and needs to be included in the amounts of carbs you eat in a day. For most people, bananas are about the worst for pushing our BG up and berries (like strawberries, raspberries etc) are the least bad.
No sweeties!
Exercise is important. I tend to exercise about an hour after eating when I know my BG will be peaking. This helps to bring it down quicker and further. I do ten minutes hard work on an exercise machine, but you could run up and down stairs for ten minutes or go for a brisk walk.
Returning to types of food and quantities of carbs - you can only find out how many you can eat by testing. Most type 2’s are not given access to testing equipment, so you should get your own – although try arguing with your Doc that you want to manage to NICE guideline blood sugar levels, and can’t do that without testing! If you have to buy a meter, they are cheap and most manufacturers will give them away for free. They make their money on the strips you have to use! So go for the meter with the cheapest testing strips. The SD Codefree available on the internet is about the cheapest at the moment. Some people test before and after eating, on waking (fasting test) and before bed. But if you have limited strips because of cost, the key to me is testing 2 hours after eating. If your BG is above, say, 7.8 at that stage, you need to cut down on the carb content the next time you have that meal. Test after various different meals and you soon get to see a pattern of what you can and can’t eat, and in what quantities. Keep careful records of what you ate and when, together with the result, so you can refer back at a later date. You can then reduce your testing. I said “below, say, 7.8” because NICE guidelines are below 8.5 but most of us think that’s a little high. 7.8 is the max. level at 2 hours after eating that a non-diabetic normally gets to so is perhaps a better target. Some then set progressively lower targets.
Do ask lots of questions; there is normally an answer on here. The more you get to learn about your diabetes, the better it will be.
Good luck!

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Grazer,

I dont have the words to thank you enough for that information, absolutely brilliant. In a perverse kind of way with regards my need to lose weight this diabetes is probably the best kick up my bum I needed... I did say in a perverse way :roll:

I will have to take notes as i am reading to try and get it to all sink in, but again, many thanks for your post it contains some great information and tips to monitor and manage this. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi Dazzer,

Like you, I suffer from depression, have done for the last 13 years...I was diagnosed with type 2, just 4 or 5 weeks ago, my heads still in a daze with it all to be honest, as soon as I knew there was a chance i was diabetic I joined this wonderful forum, its been a godsend, friendly people and the best advice ever....I started following a low carb diet just 10 days ago and have lost over 10lbs already, feel much better, although still struggling diet-wise. I'll get there though....Also just got myself a puppy to encourage me to get out and about, just got her today, so have walked a good few miles today with her (challenge for me to even go outdoors), so I can only advise you to take one step at a time and stay connected with the forum, its every diabetics perfect place....Always someone to offer advice or answer any questions you might have.,...

We are not alone here...So do hope you get the help you need, its certainly made me think about my life...

Take care and good luck

sharon xx

Fraddycat

Welcome Dazzer! You've come to the right place, there's lots of help, support, motivation, recipes right here. When you are wide awake in the middle of the night there is always something to read. We are all in this together, and we all know how you feel right now!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dazzer and welcome to the forum :)
The link you wrote in your post is correct - this is the advice we give to new members:

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Dazzer

Just to say,
Your very brave to share what you are going through.

That gives me a lot of courage.

Good Luck Dazzer, I do like your lovely comment "Oh ******" it says it all. Please enjoy the Forum with new friends.

Thanks Roy.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Again,

The nurse is coming out tomorrow to take some bloods as I couldn't go out, I knew yesterday on the phone despite me saying I haven't been out and don't go out that I wouldn't be able to manage it (I know how pathetic it sounds), so luckily they will come here.

Taken two tests so far today and both around the 20's I am really worrying about all sorts of hypothetical scenarios that may never happen, but thats my happy go lucky outlook I suppose lol (note the sarcasm :D )

I have been on a meal replacement milkshake based high protein diet in the past via the lipotrim programme administered via a local hospital department (can also be used via participating pharmacies) and have read that for pre-diabetes a 600 calorie a day diet for 6 weeks COULD prove beneficial and possibly even reverse the onset of diabetes. Not that I think at the blood glucose levels I am at, that it would necessarily apply to me, but given my weight and my glucose levels I think it could be a vigorous starting point using one of the commercially available milkshake meal replacement products. I am worried about ketoacidosis though... so many things to try and balance and weigh up and take account of, it is a minefield but I will use my monitor as a guide to progress and food choices.

My first target is to get my readings down to normal levels. I have no idea if this is unrealistic via diet and exercise alone given my starting levels, but boy am I going to try. I am petrified tbh, my dad died almost ten years ago after suffering from diabetes, he had an above knee leg amputation and had a few fingers removed also, confined to a wheelchair and had a fatal heart attack at 53.

He smoked too, obviously quickening the disease and its effects/complications. I have smoked since I was 10, however I stopped smoking 2 years ago for 8 months and have been stopped this year for 6 months so thats some small progression towards a healthier lifestyle. I do still use an electronic cigarette though, so will try and knock that on the head as i am aware that nicotine, however safely it is administered can still have its bad effects on blood pressure.

I think I am waffling for waffling's sake to be honest, it is freaking me out my glucose levels are so high, touch wood I can sort this.

A

Anonymous

you are on the right road dazzer, Ive stopped smoking too but use the nicorette quickmist for when i feel the need for some nicotine, tastes bloody awful but it works for me...

You will get there :D

Have faith!!!

Sharon xx

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
P.s. as an update i have just discovered the newcastle diet on this site, I will explore further.

p.p.s. thanks Sharon and oooohh I might try a nicorette aid now I am free from the actual cigarette/smoking thing, I would imagine my nicotine demands have reduced significantly.

A

Anonymous

dazzer1975 said:
P.s. as an update i have just discovered the newcastle diet on this site, I will explore further.

p.p.s. thanks Sharon and oooohh I might try a nicorette aid now I am free from the actual cigarette/smoking thing, I would imagine my nicotine demands have reduced significantly.

I couldnt stop with patches alone, 2 weeks with patches and the quickmist, i managed to get off the patches...So just use the mist when i really have to now...Its minging but cant imagine going without it at the minute lol...

You can do it :D

sharon :clap:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
me too, I tried patches so many times, managed two weeks a couple of times but never successful over the long term. The quick mist will be definitely worth a try to fade out my nic use

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Dazzer

At 37 your are quite young, sorry to hear that you lost your Dad when he was only 53 years old.

Not going out probably does not help,sounds as if you could have a kind of agoraphobia. Hope you get what you require quickly and easily.
When I gave up smoking a tended to eat much more food,followed by beer.
Oddly enough my reason to stop smoking was on a simple bet with a neighbour,that was 25 years ago.
I am now on a reverse diet which seems to be working for me,however we are all different.
There is so much for you to deal with. Be careful not to let it get you down.

All the beat.

Roy.