1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Continuous blood glucose monitoring is it better?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by akindrat18, Apr 22, 2018.

1. akindrat18

akindrat18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, went to see my diabetes nurse last week and she recommended to me a continuous blood glucose meter and I wanna know if they are more or less helpful.

My blood sugars have been erratic lately especially at night. On Wednesday I checked them at 4am (7.6 mmol) and then pre-breakfast at 8:30am (23.6 mmol). On Thursday at 5:30am (6.5 mmol) and then at 9:15am (7.6 mmol). I told the diabetes nurse and she said that as long as they don't stay high and between 8 and 12 mmol when you test (which is 4 times a day) then they should be ok.

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Well they let you see what is happening all the time so that is better for managi g things than the snapshot fron 4x.
    But you need to know how to react to the information you get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @akindrat18 Continuous glucose management is hugely beneficial, think of a BG meter test, which is a snapshot of a moment in time, and that is all it is. CGM is joining up the dots as well as seeing the direction the BG levels are going, the speed at which they are travelling.

It really becomes an incredibly useful tool when you keep a diary which records your carbs eaten and bolus taken as this is when you can make more informed decisions about changing your bolus/basal ratios.

So if you are having 'unexplained' BG level events then yes it's worth it's weight in gold.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook