Type 2 Continuous blood glucose monitoring is it better?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, went to see my diabetes nurse last week and she recommended to me a continuous blood glucose meter and I wanna know if they are more or less helpful.

My blood sugars have been erratic lately especially at night. On Wednesday I checked them at 4am (7.6 mmol) and then pre-breakfast at 8:30am (23.6 mmol). On Thursday at 5:30am (6.5 mmol) and then at 9:15am (7.6 mmol). I told the diabetes nurse and she said that as long as they don't stay high and between 8 and 12 mmol when you test (which is 4 times a day) then they should be ok.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well they let you see what is happening all the time so that is better for managi g things than the snapshot fron 4x.
But you need to know how to react to the information you get.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @akindrat18 Continuous glucose management is hugely beneficial, think of a BG meter test, which is a snapshot of a moment in time, and that is all it is. CGM is joining up the dots as well as seeing the direction the BG levels are going, the speed at which they are travelling.

It really becomes an incredibly useful tool when you keep a diary which records your carbs eaten and bolus taken as this is when you can make more informed decisions about changing your bolus/basal ratios.

So if you are having 'unexplained' BG level events then yes it's worth it's weight in gold.

Reactions: zand