Continuous Glucose Monitoring - But no pump?

alf15

I was wondering is it possibble to get a device that will continuously monitor my BS, but dont want the pump to go with it.

Like most T1 I check my blood sugar a minimum of 5 times a day and a max of 10 to get good control! Its the one thing that I hate doing the most! Dont mind injecting at all!

Its there anything out there or even in the pipeline that would cut out finger pricking and allow me to just look at a meter which is linked to a transmitter inside me which reads my BS?

I know the pump system has this, but i dont want a pump attached to me? I get good control on my diabetes without the pump.

alf15

Thanks carbsrock, Having a small transmitter attached it alot better than a big pump with transmitter etc.

As I play alot of sports i feel this would be best suited for me. I have no problem testing my bs, but sometimes I check it for the sake of checking. If i could look at a meter every few hours would be alot handier than stopping and cleaning my hands and fingerpricking. To reduce to 2 fingerpricks would be amazing!

How much is the dexcom 7? Surely the price of the Dexcom vs the price of loads of test strips which I use every month, it would pay its self back very fast and save the goverment money in the long run?

My nurse here in Dublin, said that 1 box of 50 Optium Xceed Test Strips cost €50 a box, and I would use about 2-3 boxs a month.

hismom

hi,
the continuos monitor costs around £900 to buy . I was going to get one for my son. The big expense is the running costs. If you only change the needle 2 times a weeks it is around £75 a week to run. by the way you stll have to test up to 4 times a day by conventional monitors.

alf15

Wow thats pricey and dear to run! Thanks for the info, out of interest how many strips do you go through a month, i thought i was alot a 100-150 strips or so