Contour USB accuracy doubts 3 days in compared to Accu-chek

Serial45

Hi guys, the Contour USB advert on the website really sucked me in and I bought it. Having used the product for 3 days I was happy until now.

I'm sitting here and the product is telling me my sugars are 1.8. Being a diabetic if my blood went below 3.0 on my accu-chek I knew about it, i'd be confused, the lower it went to 2.0 and below i'd start losing touch with reality fast. There is no way in hell my sugars are 1.8, they feel above 4.0.

Anybody else noticed any signs of inaccuracy?

Going to run some cross tests with my Accu-Check tonight.

Dollyrocker

Re: Contour USB accuracy doubts 3 days in compared to Accu-c

I don't use that meter but would suggest you run a control test to see if it's a faulty meter.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

In all the years since I have been a T2 on meds, the only meter I actually paid for, was my first, as I was green and did not know any different.
Since then all those that I have used have been provied FOC simply by contacting the supplier by phone in the early days and the internet since they set up their websites....and as Accu-Chek (Roche) has been mentioned, I will add that in my opinion their service leaves all the others in the shade. They are quick, efficient and all too willing to supply a new meter.
I am now using their Aviva-Nano and find it very easy to use with its large lit mumerical display and its infra red window that 'talks' to my laptop through the integral infra red window/port; as it does with my DN's computer when I attend the regular clinic sessions.

When I enquired about the USB Contour, I was not even offered a reply, only a link to a purchaching page ... Bayer 0/10 and Roche 10/10!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Have to agree with you there Hobs, however that Contour USB does look sweet but not a lot of good if it is not at least as accurate as my old (now) Aviva.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Mine is just as accurate as my nano and the best meter I have. Use the control solution 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hobs said:
and its infra red window that 'talks' to my laptop through the integral infra red window/port; as it does with my DN's computer when I attend the regular clinic sessions.

The very reason I am thinking about the Contour Hobs, since installing Windows 7 on my PC I am unable to use the Accu Chek 360 software, so not only can I not record my current daily bg but I can no longer access my existing records :evil:

Its about time accu chek dragged themselves into the 21st century and kept up to date with current technology. They will definitely be loosing my test strip business if they cannot offer me new software by 2011 :evil:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I'm a lucky pumpy, however today for the first time I checked using the same drop of blood my results from 2 different blood test machines that have both been control tested prior to using....my old aviva nano said I was 4.6 and my new meter on the arriva combo pump said I was 4.1........5 to me is a big difference espeically since the new pump meter said I was .5 lower than the old nano machine......begs the question...just how accurate are these meters for accuchek and other manufacturers? Trading Standards take retailers to court with hefty fines for giving wrong measurements...so where are the quality controls for these blood testing machines?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

The low cost retail test meters (usually free if you ask the supplier) do not claim to be accurate and can be 10% off a known value in either direction, so if one is reading 10% high and another is reading 10% low you could have a 20% gap.
I was told that the idea is to only use one meter and it will give give you an indication of going up or down and an overall idea of 'trends' in your diabetes management.

Bigglesworth

. Accuracy of glucose meters is a common topic of clinical concern. Blood glucose meters must meet accuracy standards set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). According to ISO 15197 Blood glucose meters must provide results that are within 20% of a laboratory standard 95% of the time (for concentrations about 75 mg/dL, absolute levels are used for lower concentrations). However, a variety of factors can affect the accuracy of a test. Factors affecting accuracy of various meters include calibration of meter, ambient temperature, pressure use to wipe off strip (if applicable), size and quality of blood sample, high levels of certain substances (such as ascorbic acid) in blood, hematocrit, dirt on meter, humidity, and aging of test strips. Models vary in their susceptibility to these factors and in their ability to prevent or warn of inaccurate results with error messages. The Clarke Error Grid has been a common way of analyzing and displaying accuracy of readings related to management consequences. More recently an improved version of the Clarke Error Grid has come into use: It is known as the Consensus Error Grid.

The above information from Wikipedia

If you Google you will a number of tests and comparisons between meters used for self testing. Overall I think that you stick to one meter and the results it gives should be treated as 'indicative'.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Good idea to stick to one meter, have only ever done this double checking twice in 25 years, yesterday and today. Todays readings were a 0.6 difference between the two, so not going to scare myself anymore. I have however contacted accuchek to ask their opinion on the differences.

I never knew there was such a difference possible, so that's nother learning point gained from this forum. Thank you for your information.....

yipster29

Have had the USB for 6 weeks or so and just as accurate as my old Contour and my Dads Accu something or other.

I love how easy it is to record data and see trends. 8)

timewarp

I have come across the same issues with the USB.

Generally it would state that I was lower. I did several cross check samples with my Accu. The control test was within the acceptable range...just.

I think the advice of one type of machine only and use it only as indicative guide is probably the best.

For me the Accu appears to give me the most accurate readings so I will stick with that.

RoseRodent

Personally I find that Accu-Chek reads very high, so maybe the Contour is the one that is correct? Doesn't sound like it, though, at such a low reading as that. I was having a panic that I was doing something seriously wrong and my BG was going seriously off the rails till someone told me how inaccurate these meters are allowed to be. I changed to a Lifescan Vita and it seems much more in keeping with readings from my old Bayer and in keeping with the way I feel, and I'm so incredibly much happier feeling secure that my readings are not really that high! You have to feel confident in it, if you do a reading and you don't believe it then you aren't going to take the right action you're just going to shrug it off.

Of course there is the usual "never change your treatment regimen based on just one reading" thing, but for those of us who have to self-fund strips we don't want to do a repeat reading then a control reading then another repeat cos that's a lot of money spent on one reading.