1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Contraceptive Implant

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by CarlyB, Apr 28, 2018.

1. CarlyB

CarlyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

Can I please have some advice/thoughts of having the contraceptive implant and its impact on diabetes? I’m finding it difficult to get much info on this. I have two children and am not having anymore so wanted something more long term where I don’t need to worry about taking a pill every day.

TIA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had a contraceptive implant now for about 7-8 years (give or take) and I don't think it made any difference to my control (which has always been a bit rollercoaster-y I must admit but the implant didn't change that)

• Like Like x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I sent my husband to the vets to overcome the daily pill issue (3rd child was not planned!). But if that's not an option you should consider how you react to any hormonal birth control you are taking now? As I understand it the implant releases progesterone and stops implantation. Any hormonal contraception risks side effects but I suppose having an even dose would stop some of the blood sugar rises that come with having a natural cycle (blood sugar rising just before a period or carb cravings). Personally I feel as if I have enough hormone complications without interfering with my natural cycle in this way however its such a personal decision and if having an accidental pregnancy would be a disaster then this seems to be a really reliable way of preventing that!

• Like Like x 1
  4. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can’t comment on the implant, but I take the progesterone only pill, which is what the implant basically is, and I don’t think it’s made any difference. If anything, it’s a slightly less wild ride than before .

The only other thing I would consider is if you use a libre/Dexcom, is it likely to interfere with where you place that?

I would be interested to hear how you get on, as I have also considered the implant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cant offer any advice on the implant but have you considered the contraceptive injection? That's what I'm on x

6. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the injection works in the same way as the implant, it releases progesterone to stop you ovulating. So if the injection doesnt have much impact on your control that might be good news for the OP considering the implant.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CarlyB

CarlyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I have considered it but what puts me off is having to go to the doctors every 3 months to get it topped up. Difficult with an 8 week old and a 2 year old. How do you find it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes it can be a pain going every 3 months but if like @catapillar says and it works in the same way maybe you could try an injection first, see your reaction to it, then decide either to continue with the injection or opt for the implant, also it doesn't have to be bang on 3 months, there is a 7 day time frame either way, I get on fine with it, although I was on it before I was diagnosed, there is no differing in my readings throughout the period between injections etc xx

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I have the implant. No extra problems with control.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lynz84

Lynz84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use cerazette which mimics the injection only in pill form. Ive had 1 period in 5 years and no change in my bgs!

• Like Like x 1
  11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I had two three year implants before I went to the vet to get done. They were great, one less thing to have to worry about (babies) and had no effect on my BG :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook