1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Contraceptive injection (Depo)

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by cookiesT2, Sep 2, 2015.

1. cookiesT2

cookiesT2 Type 2 · Active Member

Would like to ask if any other type 2 ladies have the contraceptive injection (Depo) and if they think it affects their blood sugar levels and eating patterns. I was due to have it again on 31St August actually having it on Friday (4th September) last week and more so this week I seem to be always hungry. Today for example had my lunch(fish with cauliflower and green beans) and within half an hour I was starving more so than I was before lunch. I then ate half a dozen or so cream ginger biscuits. When I got home from work at half three I checked my blood sugar 5.2? I've done so well over last four month eating low carb and losing weight. Worried in falling off the wagon and going to pile it back on. What I want to know is could it be hormones and because the injection is running low so to speak. Thanks in advance.

2. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have never had the depo but I know it can cause weight gain and increases the risk of blood clots in some women.

In my experience IUCDs are a safer, better form of contraception. More convenient, fewer risks. But that's just my opinion.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook