Controlling HBA1c with diet and exercise

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed a couple of years ago, I started a regime of weight loss, improved diet and daily exercise. I lost 17% of my weight, became more active and returned to normal BG levels. The interesting question became, were the improved BG levels temporary or permanent? Was I producing more insulin or were my BG levels being kept low because I was avoiding all refined carbs and consuming only small amounts of complex carbs?

Dr Roy Taylor of Newcastle fame states that some insulin producing insulin cells are not dead but blocked or at least not functioning properly in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Weight loss, if sufficiently large, will help these cells recover, more insulin will be produced and function can be normalised. However, his labs have equipment which monitor insulin levels whereas most type 2s are lucky if they have a cheap BG meter. How can we tell if we have normalised the function?

Knowing my HBA1c test was due, I started to eat some 'normal foods' for three months. I still avoided some of the stuff I used to eat, toast and marmelade, sugary drinks, cakes, sweets etc but I started to eat white bread, chips, mashed potatoes, yoghurt pot type puddings, sweet fruits, pizzas and normal pasta, as opposed to wholewheat pasta, white rice and a few biscuits, mostly digestive. I monitored my BG level every morning, effectively a 10 - 12 hour fast.

As a result, both my weight and HBA1c have gone up but the latter by not much. I am still just within the normal range so, something must be working better than it used to. Even over the christmas period when I would have some mince pies and some chocs, my early morning readings were still between 5.1 and 6.0. However, it is all too easy to relax too much, fall into bad old habits and let things slide again. My aim this year will be to lose another 10 Kg, drop the white carbs again and stick to only the complex carbs, carry on with the cycling/rowing/walking/gardening and see what next year will bring. The Hairy Dieters Book 3, and Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking and a new Soup Maker/Juicer/Blender will help keep my motivation up. Cooking nutritious and tasty meals using healthy ingredients is a pastime worth learning for those who have the time.

There is no point in 'reversing diabetes' only to go back to old ways. It'll come back. Afterall, it's why many of us got it in the first place. But, it can be stopped in its tracks by most people who can motivate themselves to lose enough weight and you can even forget that you have diabetes on some occasions, a works do, a wedding, a party or whatever, just as long as it is occasional. Not having to worry about having diabetes is a better reward for your efforts than eating a sticky toffee pudding.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love it when someone has found something that really works for them. :happy:

And what excellent a1c results!

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello @Yorksman
My endo wanted me off major carbs and said I should ease of my 130 units insulin per day and go on 4 metformin tabs per day and I would lose weight and when my weight came down I could tolerate more carbs so I should increase my carbs when I can.

I am sure he is right, and that is what I should be doing - the hard cases in here will argue the odds but so far my endo's predictions have worked for me.

Forum advice, as a rule, does not consider some things - their experience is extremely limited and they have never even met us let alone given us a proper physical and an interview for things like age and family history, our activity our other health issues and meds we are taking and have taken and even our pallor and other appearance health give aways.

My indo tho, orderd a lot of lab tests and carried out a physical exam including nerve testing particuarly on my feet, before providing me with advice, then he followed it up with another session of more tests and another physical exam before offering follow up advice.and another set of the same. So far his advice has not changed from day 1 and his predictions have come true.

So I conclude @Yorksman that all things being equal your observations sound true but my forum advice is in doubt too.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the encouragement but, my triglyceride levels have risen sharply and this is an indicator of what will follow if I continue to eat as I have done. The trig levels are a rough proxy for what is going on in your liver and pancreas. It's not a direct relationship but if they remain high for a long enough time, they start to deposit fats and the whole thing starts off again.

Trigs are produced at the end of the digestion process and a quick and dirty test of seeing if you have high levels is to ask yourself the question, do you feel satisfied after eating a meal? Most type 2 diabetics know that feeling of always wanting more. It's not always trig levels, some foods are designed to make you want to eat more and more, foods like doughnuts, but many other seemingly harmless foods seem to act as just appetisers when you have high trigs.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/ss/slideshow-triglyceride-foods-to-avoid

Wholewheat pasta with chickpeas, brocolli and garlic tonight! (50g portion size on the wholewheat pasta)

231366.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
An interesting link, it pretty much ties in with my results.
Cut those foods, my cholesterol looks quite good.
Ate too much on holiday in summer, figures went downhill.
Back on track up to December, good across the board again.
Now.... Christmas...... :(

Ah well, into the New Year...

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forum advice, as a rule, does not consider some things - their experience is extremely limited and they have never even met us let alone given us a proper physical and an interview for things like age and family history, our activity our other health issues and meds we are taking and have taken and even our pallor and other appearance health give aways.

Yes I should have probably made it clear that I am not on any meds at all and started as soon as I was diagnosed. It is completely different to someone who has had type 2 diabetes undiagnosed for a long period of time. The level of damage to the beta cell mass can be very different between individuals. The respective number of cells that can be recovered and the number that are permanently lost makes so much difference to how individual patients react to different approaches.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now.... Christmas...... :(

Ah well, into the New Year...

I ate my fair share of mince pies but generally, I find these things too sweet now. My big downfall though is cheese. Because it is generally OK for BG levels, you get lulled into a false sense of security. If you eat any carbs at all, you have to watch cheese.

Trouble is after half a bottle of port to go with it, you don't care anymore :joyful:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I ate my fair share of mince pies but generally, I find these things too sweet now. My big downfall though is cheese. Because it is generally OK for BG levels, you get lulled into a false sense of security. If you eat any carbs at all, you have to watch cheese.

Trouble is after half a bottle of port to go with it, you don't care anymore :joyful:

Ah, don't mention the Christmas cheese board..........
My downfall again I fear.

(I've also noticed late night cheese, and the glass or three of wine, and my fasting BG goes up, which it doesn't do on the wine, so I must be digesting it, storing and then liver dumping in the morning)