Cook book, totally failing in controlling diabetes

Piper1775

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm looking for a cook book that is for diabetics but also to loose weight, does anyone have any that are good, or ideas of ones I could get, I'm totally failing with this diabetes thing, my levels are always in the high teens and that in on insulin and Victoza, I am also having to use nova rapid when it goes into the 20s which is happening multiple times a week, can anyone help, I am type 2 diabetic and in a wheelchair, I only put the weight on after being in the chair a couple of years and then found out I was diabetic as well as multiple health problems

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats not too good :( it can be hard controlling levels .. The only thing i can personally suggest is if you have a tablet or a smart phone give a look on the app store/ google play .. There was a heap of great apps that specify in this, as for books i cant reccomend as i havent came across any, i hope this helps a little

And ofcourse there are books, most likely lots more than apps, i just havent stumbled on one

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Piper1775, if you go to the main DCUK website there's a free diabetes cookbook which you can download.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started off I found the recipe sections of this forum most helpful. Also the thread on what people are eating on a daily basis gave me great ideas. Have a ferret around the forum and make a weekly plan of menus.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm looking for a cook book that is for diabetics but also to loose weight, does anyone have any that are good, or ideas of ones I could get, I'm totally failing with this diabetes thing, my levels are always in the high teens and that in on insulin and Victoza, I am also having to use nova rapid when it goes into the 20s which is happening multiple times a week, can anyone help, I am type 2 diabetic and in a wheelchair, I only put the weight on after being in the chair a couple of years and then found out I was diabetic as well as multiple health problems

There are various recipe threads and a few "What have you eaten today?" threads, where members post their food, from time to time.

Many folks have found that reducing the amount of carbohydrate they eat helps reduce their blood numbers, and for some of us, that is enough to keep things at bay, for now at least. Some folks looking at reducing their carbs can't face giving uo their favourite foods, but in my experience, something had to give. I had unhealthy levels and I needed to change that.

If I really fancied something, I'd consult with Dr Google and search something like, "low carb, x, y or z". by reading here and with the help of the internet I no longer find myself really missing anything. Things like cottage pie can have a different veg topping, and pasta (if that's one of your things), can be replaced by spiralised courgette, sweet potato or the like. Often pasta is merely a carrier for the more delicious element of the meal - the bolognese or other sauce. That's where the real flavour and nutrition tends to be.

Personally, I haven't bought any cook books, but I do have a folder of recipe's I've saved. After a short while it'll become more routine.

Good luck with it all.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those high sugars must be making you feel bad @Piper1775 Not nice at all.

You mention you use insulin. Is that just a basal/slow-acting insulin every day? Although you mention Novorapid I got the impression you only used that sometimes. Is that right?

As well as looking at your diet, you could speak to your diabetes team and see if your insulin regime might need adjusting to get your high sugars down.

I hope you get it sorted.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sadly there are relatively few good cook books for diabetes and a lot of very bad ones. I'm afraid I don't know enough about what is available but have seen one or two dreadful ones. Perhaps others can recommend some. Basically you need a low-carb cook book. A lot of weight gain is caused by the carbs which the body stores as fat when in excess of needs. Keeping these down can help both weight and blood sugar, particularly if not having much exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd tend to agree with @Daibell and suggest your look for low carb cookery books rather than diabetic ones. But do look in the low carb section of the forum as there is a large low carb recipes thread which you might find helpful.

I'm not very active, but have lost a lot of weight and reduced my glucose levels with the low carb way of eating.

Robbity