Coping or rather not coping

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you all cope with this? I'm not even two weeks into being a diabetic & I have had enough already, I fell off the bandwagon big time tonight after dinner I tucked into peanut brittle & Lindt choc balls, I feel so sick now & just spent nearly an hour in the bathroom balling my eyes out, I didn't want my husband to see me crying, don't get me wrong he has been very supportive I just didn't need anyone telling me it was all going to be alright type of thing,

I have read constantly about diabetes for 11days, countless books have been purchased & are lined up next to my beloved cookery & baking books, I try looking at low carb recipes but end up feeling angry & upset at what I can't eat, my husband & I are big foodies, not in the sense of eating lots but its a big part of our life & at the moment it feels like my whole life has been taken away & I am greiving for it, I keep thinking it could be worse I could have some terminal illness & I should be grateful its not that bad but its not working & I really don''t know how to deal with it :(

Off to bed now, hopefully I will feel better tomorrow

Pneu

Helen...

Firstly what your feeling is perfectly normal! Diabetes is a big and unwelcome change to your life and its natural that at the start you feel over-whelmed and ****** off.. Like anything in life it does get better with time and you will learn to cope..

Unfortunately I would be lying if I said it wasn't hard.. or didn't involve some changes to your life style.. but again once you learn what works for you hopefully you can find a balance that suits your life.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I possibly still have that phase to go through, although diagnosed for a year I take the attitude that this won't beat me & guess what? It isn't! I read a lot at 1st and realised many people go years without diagnosis so having been caught early I could afford to make small changes and not need wholesale change over night. Today I had a review, i'm 3 and half stone lighter, blood was 5.6 and cholesterol down from 6.1 to 4.9, so small changes can make all the difference. As foodies a look at some other topics here will give you healthy recipes to try out-and most of all don't panic i'm not the most disciplined of people and i'm healthy and got enough happiness right now I can give some away as spare!

A

Anonymous

Hi Helen,

I totally understand the feeling. Although I've been diagnosed type 2 for over 5 years, it just hits me sometimes. My wife is a very keen (and good) cook and I've been low-carbing just the last couple of months so it's really started to affect her too.

I can't help much with the glumness - this will come and go, at least it does with me. But you can eat a lot of normal things on a low carb diet. We have found it easier if she cooks meats etc normally, but I'll not have pasta or rice, but have salads and veg instead. We haven't, as yet, found diabetic cook books much help as they don't concentrate on low carb.

One benefit, aside from the almost inevitable weight loss, is that your taste buds are likely to improve so you may find your interest in food is maintained.

Simon

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Helen, I feel for you, I was diagnosed over a month ago. Still trying to come to terms with it. Harder for me as I'm a vegetarian, I bought Rose Elliots low carb cook book, and I'm working my way through it. Its still boring, I havent had a proper drink since Xmas as I didnt feel too good (turned out it was diabetes).
Good luck and stick with this forum I have found it invaluable, its my first port of call when I switch on at 5.30.

C

catherinecherub

helen louise said:
How do you all cope with this? I'm not even two weeks into being a diabetic & I have had enough already, I fell off the bandwagon big time tonight after dinner I tucked into peanut brittle & Lindt choc balls, I feel so sick now & just spent nearly an hour in the bathroom balling my eyes out, I didn't want my husband to see me crying, don't get me wrong he has been very supportive I just didn't need anyone telling me it was all going to be alright type of thing,

I have read constantly about diabetes for 11days, countless books have been purchased & are lined up next to my beloved cookery & baking books, I try looking at low carb recipes but end up feeling angry & upset at what I can't eat, my husband & I are big foodies, not in the sense of eating lots but its a big part of our life & at the moment it feels like my whole life has been taken away & I am greiving for it, I keep thinking it could be worse I could have some terminal illness & I should be grateful its not that bad but its not working & I really don''t know how to deal with it :(

Off to bed now, hopefully I will feel better tomorrow

Hi Helen,
I think that what you are going through happens to all of us at diagnosis.
I am in my 9th. year with Type 2 and there are times when I could scream and say to myself that this is not fair. You will come to accept it slowly and as your control improves it will become easier.
There is an article here that is very helpful and I sometimes have a read through it when things are getting on top of me.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabet ... ssues.html

There are three parts so be sure to read all three.

You are not alone, we all know how you are feeling. Just keep asking questions about things you do not understand and it will become clearer.
Take care.

CC.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen,

I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed in the summer, and spent the first couple of weeks afterwards totally dazed, buying every book I could find and scouring the internet for info. After this initial time, I then sank into a bit of a depression and still tend to have my good days and bad days (it doesn't help that I've just been diagnosed with a rare form of diabetes which will eventually make me deaf :( ).

There's not much I can add to what other people here have already said, other than you'll learn to deal with it better as time goes on, you'll still get angry and feel life's dealt you a bad hand, and wish you could be the way you were before, but you'll also feel good that you're giving your body the right foods and doing the best you can for your poorly pancreas, I even feel quite protective of my beta cell now, daft I know :D

I think it's important to look for the positives with this disease (easier said than done), and accept that there will be times when you hate it, and everyone else who gets to be 'normal' and eat anything they want, and there'll be days when you feel very down. But you're not alone, especially not with this forum, it's been a massive help to me and has stopped me feeling so isolated, and there's always someone here to offer a bit of support.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Grazer

It really sucks Helen. I think you have to be quite analytical to handle it.
I sat down and looked on the internet at what happens (yes, with photos of feet with holes in) and all the complications and made decision one: I can't have any of that
decision two: There are a number of things I simply can't eat any more, so I shall pretend they're not available; they don't exist. bit like peanuts to a person with nut allergies.
I then started to work on what I CAN eat, and suddenly it's not too bad. Thanks to posts on here, and work on the internet, I eat "almost" bounty bars, chocolate hazelnut truffles, ice coconut chocolates, pies, sausage rolls, pizza, - most things not QUITE as good as before, but all ok and low carb.
Basically, you need to come up with a food plan you can stick to for life (and it can be a good one) and just put all else out of the mind. That's why i tend to disagree with some posts on here about "occasional treats"; ok for some, but for lots it's like the "occasional fag" - no such thing!
Try and look on the good side. There's lots of yummy stuff you CAN eat! :thumbup:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Helen
I was one of those people who just" dont do ill" so the dreaded DB hit me like a brick I will not bore you with the gory details enough to say you are in good company :D There is lots of good advice on this forum and it is a big advantage being foodies bacause you will be able to adapt what you can eat and enjoy I personally dont try to make things into what they are not ,eg cauli rice to me rice is rice and cauli is cauli! I make spaghetti bol for my husband but I dont have the spag I have lots of the sauce with lots of cheese and maybe some cauli or broccolli I dont feel I have missed out I eat chinese and indian food I just adapt by replacing the main carbs with loads of veg and more meat . Look on it as a challenge it can be quite fun in a strange kind of way
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen

You have joined a very large group of people who have T2 so you are not alone. As the number of T2s increases and the need for low carb foods finally gets through to the supermarket chains we might see more choice becoming available. As others have said you need to focus on keeping the carbs reasonably low and low GI. That leaves a lot of foods that are not a problem. I have fried egg and bacon quite often for breakfast or home-made muesli in sensible quantity. I buy low-GI bread from the local baker and keep the slices thin. You can eat meats and vegetables as much as you like; also fruit in sensible quantity. Don't worry too much about fats as fat is not a problem as long as you try to avoid too much saturated fat; you'll probably be put on statins anyway. I still eat chocolate but the 85% dark variety. I treat myself to wholemeal muffins, crumpets etc which only have around 20 gms carb. Study the food labels; you'll be amazed at the amount of unhealthy sugar and refined flour you have been eating before stuffed into everything! You can but zero fat AND zero sugar yoghurts if you search the shelves. Keep positive.

WhitbyJet

helen louise - I agree with all of the above, I once felt just the way that you do now, but you will find that you still can eat delicious food and stay healthy at the same time. have a good look at the recipes in the low carb recipe forum, check out recipes in this link www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz. Experiment with recipes, dont be afraid to try something new.
It will get easier with time, I used to worry about having to sit and watch all my friends eat the food that I wanted to eat but would make me ill, but its turned out the other way round, my friends eat low carb with me instead, they are enjoying it and say they feel better for it.

All the best to you

pinkhevs

Hi,
I was just diagnosed type 1 this weekend at age of 29. Swinging wildly between feeling completely overwhelmed and freaked out (which is how i feel right now) and feeling that I'm ok and it will be manageable.
Friends and family think I'm overreacting I think but I'm struggling to get my head around everything.
Heather

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Helen. I know what you mean. I'm not coping either.

When I was diagnosed in September, I looked at it positively and a challenge. I focused on all the good things to come out of it-the weight loss, feeling healthier with more energy etc. etc. However, it's only now that the depression has hit me like a brick. All the replies above are so helpful and so encouraging but I, too, am finding it so hard at the moment.

I don't know if you have experienced the denial yet-the mentality of "it's only a wee bit, it won't do any harm". That's where I am. I know Grazer is so right about not having anything that spikes the BG level but it is so **** hard.

This forum has been such a great help and all I can advise you at the moment is whenever you are feeling down and depressed or just want a rant, come onto the forum. There will always be someone to give you support and advice. What I have learned is that we are all in it together, we have all experienced the same things/feelings and understand what each other are going through and, most importantly, we are all here for each other.

It is so good to talk to people who know exactly how it feels.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your replies

I just wish I could move on from this phase, it feels like I haven't stopped crying for two days & the whole thing feels completely hopeless, I know its not but thats how it feels at the moment, off to see the nurse this morning

Helen

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabet ... ssues.html

There are three parts so be sure to read all three.
This link is absolutley FANTASTIC have saved it in my favourites to read when need to.
Thanks catherine for this ... x :D
Helen .
It IS a long HARD journey not an easy walk in the park!
We all have our good days, n bad days.
Try buying a cheery writing pad, write down all the things food wise, and activities you LOVE and CAN do [as a diabetic!]
Watch the list grow and your hope and spirits will lift recognising ALL that you CAN do .
Also another 'tip' cut out of magazines all the good and diabetic friendly recipes, store these in another cheery bright
coloured folder.
Use these on the 'blankety blank days' for inspiration and ideas to cook lovely tasty meals for you and your family .
I posted not too long ago about these ideas in a lost trip to the supermarket with [[denise]]
[worth a read up on]
I find I am having to work extra hard as an insulin user type2 , insulin 'fat stores' despite how little I eat !
Talk about FRUSTRATION and having to keep busy to fat burn the ruddy stuff off!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Some days I get that mad with it all 'I give up' and worry endlessly . . . . :problem:
I dont have the choice or the flexibility to do otherwise anymore, its more a feeling of entrapment with me!
Off to the shops later, buying from my list do enjoy and can have .... :!:
Anna.x

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Helen and all you other new and relatively newly diagnosed members. The greatest thing you have done so very early on is to face it and learn all you can and that is incredibly brave. Finding this site is really good news for you. I was diagnosed in 2002 and buried my head in the sand for years-too scared to find out what it all really meant and then when I finally realised the seriousness of it started to do some research and went what you are going through now. I have found that with the right diet and advice it doesnt have to be all doom and gloom. I just wish I had been brave enough to learn about it earlier like you all are.

I say little and read lots in here because the more experienced members have a lot to offer and welcome questions. I still have days when I dont sleep or worry about the future especially if I have eaten something I really shouldnt, I think thats part and parcel of the condition. But the best advice I was given is: test an hour before meals, and two hours after meals to start with - get an idea of what YOU can eat and what you cant. make sure you get enough sleep, being tired makes me low and cant be bothered which is a disaster if you need to diet and exercise like I do, and make sure you put yourself first. I have spent many years looking after every Tom, **** and Harry when in need at the cost of myself! No more.

Good luck! and try Whitby Jets chicken nuggets..... oh my goodness, they are delicious and have fun trying all the other low carb recipes, my husband is still recovering from the cheeseburger wrapped in giant mushrooms but I did hear him telling his friends "it was actually not bad at all!" :lol: Clairy xx

avy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Helen, I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in 2006. At the time I felt much like yourself and yes I asked myself how do you move forward. The answer is simple, you just do. My life didn't end just because I became a diabetic. I still enjoy the food I eat. My weight has not ballooned or gone down drastically. I attend the clinics twice a year and my results are good. I keep taking the medication given by my Doc and if I think it needs tweeking I go and speak to him or the practice nurse. I was a chocoholic and that has changed now even though I do have the odd square. At first its a bit of a hill to climb but once over the top its quite easy. I don't let it rule my life because I am in control. :wave:

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Might have to try those chicken nuggets!

Not long back from seeing the nurse & after bursting into tears she basicly said thank god for that!
after my previous two visits she was actually quite concerned that I hadn't shown any emotion at all :?
I suppose it hadn't hit home then & now it has,

I am feeling a little better now although I'm not sure how long that will last, I had a thorough mot today, my BP was 134/90 two weeks ago & today it was 111/84 which she said was really good considering how upset I was in there, my pulse rate was quite high,
My fasting BG from the hospital taken nearly 2 weeks ago was 18, the monitor results from the morning have varied from 12.2 to 15.3 so they are slowly coming down, I have only been on 1 metformin for 7 days & today I start 2 per day from today, 3 per day from next thursday,

They are still waiting for the c peptide test as the hospital decided they wouldn't do it but now my GP has insisted on it, I think its because he feels that this has come on fairly quickly & may possbly be type1 but we will see on that one

Trying to think positive :|

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sounds as though you are being well looked after Helen. Its early days and its all very unsettling to start with. Each day and week that passes I am sure you will become accustomed and once your levels have stabilised you will feel better physically I would imagine too. xx

Christinelh

Dislikes
Housework Swearing Poor manners soaps on tv
I have been type 1 for 18 months as was diagnosed wrongly in 2007 and no - listened then I paid and wham type 1 I hate it but cope and the team I am under heve their own physcologist whom I now see I live alone and my grown up children with their own families really do not want to know I lost my long term partner in 2010 we lived apart but he was there for me