Coping with Baked Beans??

squishee

Hi :)

I'm sure that most of you don't eat baked beans, but for those of you that do (even on the odd occasion) how do you deal with them insulin-wise?

I find that beans rise my sugars, but not for an hour or so. If I give my self extra insulin to accomodate the rise then I tend to hypo before the beans have kicked in, as my insulin obviously has an effect sooner. :roll:
We had a baked bean hotpot for dinner last night :oops: (beans, tinned toms, red pepper, worcs. sauce, spinach) - blood before dinner was 6.7, 2 hours after/before bed went up to 13.2, didn't worry about correcting and this morning I was 8.6.

Trouble is, I rarely eat them very often for this reason but I LOVE baked beans and don't want to deprive myself too often of a food I enjoy!! :cry:

How do you cope with beans, if and when you indulge??

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

when i eat baked beans it's only a small amount, when on MDI it was recommended that you don't count the actual beans as it takes so long to get into your system it's common for the insulin to take effect long before the beans do. I was recommended to count the 'of which sugars it' if i was having alot of beans as it's the sauce that is the main source that will affect your BG's quicker so you can cover it with insulin if your having quite a bit.

Now i use an insulin pump i could extend my bolus over a longer period of time to cover the beans but as i only ever had a small amount to be honest i never count it and never see an ill-effect from doing so.

If your having a large amount you could always have an injection later to try cover the later rise in BG, but this may take a bit of trial and error to get the timing and dose right.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find that beans rise my sugars, but not for an hour or so. If I give my self extra insulin to accomodate the rise then I tend to hypo before the beans have kicked in, as my insulin obviously has an effect sooner. :roll: [/quote]

Not sure what you are saying here squishee, you say your bg rises on the hour presuming because of your food (beans) but then say you give extra insulin to compensate but the insulin kicks in before the beans take effect, was the bean hotpot the only carbs on your dinner plate?

Baked beans are classed as a low-gi food (48 on the Glycemic Index). I can tolerate beans rather well and don't get a post-meal spike but tend to inject after the meal to give the beans a head start to digest, must admit I rarely eat beans now but did have half a tin last week for my dinner with poached eggs.

Nigel

jopar

I don't eat baked bean regularly, but when on MDI I did dependant on what I am having them with either take the injection afterwards if high fat meal, or split my dose..

I tend to make my own version of baked beans, harricote beans, red onion, tomatoes and fresh herbs, a splash of worster sauce for a kick.. I know exactly what I put in it

Dislikes
lying, cheating, thieving mp's. Mobile phones, supermarket culture and having corrupt sport rammed down my throat on a daily basis!
In our case shouldn't it be "Carbe Diem"! :lol: