1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coronavirus vaccines for diabetics

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by sorchao, Nov 29, 2020.

1. sorchao

sorchao Type 2 · Member

Has anyone seen any research on the three main coronavirus vaccines in the pipeline and their effectiveness in diabetic populations? I’ve been able to find specifics about their effectiveness in elders, but not any other group - I’d be really interested in hearing whether any of the trials have looked at other ‘vulnerable’ populations, including diabetes.

2. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen anything. I would imagine that this will be trialed further down the line as the study samples are not huge. Effectiveness by age group is an easy one to measure at first since the immediate goal is to answer the question - does this work? Followed by - is this safe?

I read a headline that diabetics would be high up on the vaccination priority protocol but admittedly I didn’t follow that up.

But my understanding is that having diabetes does not mean vaccines are less effective, just that we are more likely to become seriously ill should we contract the disease. The flu & covid diseases do not seek out diabetics but if we become ill we are more likely to be seriously ill.

3. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

We are not significantly high on the priority list really
    Quick Google, other news sites reporting same priorities:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-priority-list-who-covid-4746083

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why are you so anti vaccination? I have worked in countries where serious deseases are endemic and had lots of vaccinations, I didn't get the deseases or any side effects.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

Lucky you.. Plenty of other people have been harmed by vaccines old and new.
    Plus of course the current COVID vaccines are rushed, relatively untested and for the most part use new methods that have never been monitored in the human population but are being pushed on everyone.. way too soon in my humble opinion.
    With the survival rate from COVID far higher than the claimed "protection' given by vaccines it all seems fairly pointless.
    Get your own immune system in order seems far better advice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Or you could do both: improve your immune system and have the vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bulkbiker

I could provided of course that's its my choice and no restrictions are placed on me should I decide not to.
    However I'm pretty sure I know which will be the most effective.

10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Lovely people.

The topic is not a pro/con debate. Is this jab effective for diabetics.
    Any further derailments will have to go. With possible endorsements levied to those concerned.

Stay lucky! :cool: & be safe. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bobrobert

bobrobert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would there need to be a different vaccination for type 1, type 2 and all of the different groups? The mind boggles at the permutations

12. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Last Thursday, I asked an Immunologist at Cambridge why those on the Shielding list rolled out in March don't appear on the Vaccination priority list. Because tests have not been done with, for example, transplant recipients who are at the top of the list, it does not mean that they have slipped in significance. There will be more known as things progress.

13. sorchao

sorchao Type 2 · Member

Thanks so much for this info, ert, that’s really useful to know, even if incomplete. I’m in Ireland and we’re in line to get the Pfizer one first, so I’m particularly interested in that, but I guess we will get more info the closer it gets.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook