1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coronavirus. What’s it like?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by therower, Mar 16, 2020.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi gals and guys.
    Sorry I’m useless at posting links but you may find this interesting. A day to day account of a type 1 diabetic with Covid 19.
    Google search.
    leicestermercury.co.uk. Diary of a dad with coronavirus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I can't click onit and when I googled it couldn't be found, but I will try again a little later.
    TIA :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. CliveT1

CliveT1 · Member

5. CliveT1

CliveT1 · Member

March 9th the interesting day for him

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries.
    It was facinating to read this from the "horses mouth." The guy is around our age too..!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Expert

Great little post all..

makes a good point at end..get tested cos you got no symptoms.
    get it full on
    then no symptoms but no check to say it's gone..mmhh

i'd of liked a check to say GONE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Really useful account. Thank you for the joint effort in posting. @Jaylee, your link worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

"Some supermarkets refused to deliver when asked to leave the shopping by the door because of coronavirus."

Ideally he should have named them. See main Coronavirus thread for my related post.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

SugarBuzz, there was a joint message sent by the Chief Execs of the UK supermarkets on Sunday/Monday, pledging their best efforts during this difficult time.

As I understand it, from talking with a neighbour who is "a cheese" in Ocado, that they and the other supermarkets not have all agreed a strategy for ensuring deliveries and hygiene for both customers and delivery persons.

Of course, it might be a little different to other times, but such is life.

13. SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the Coronavirus thread.

Morrisons have already sent correspondence with clear instructions on what they will do during the current situation. If requested they will leave any shopping outside [in bags] in a designated place and telephone you when it arrives.

But so far there has been no statement from Tesco (and they are not even responding to emails any more as they are 'busy'). Tesco also have different delivery protocols to Morrisons - i.e. - no bags with their delivery and also you are still expected to finger sign their electronic pad that the delivery driver holds.
    So it's hardly a coordinated response. It's been very poor from Tesco (anyone would think they are run by Bojo the Clown :wacky:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *UPDATE* - Finally managed to get through to Tesco (just a 10 minute wait on the freephone number - not bad) - so I'll share the info here for all other interested parties: Apparently if you are self isolating. - You must put a note in the Drivers Notes on your online order AND put a note on your door.
    The driver will leave the shopping on your doorstep and then knock on the door and ask if you are okay with the order. If you say yes, the driver will then 'sign' the electronic pad on your behalf.
    They are also going back to using plastic bags during this time.

I don't know why they haven't just sent this info out in a customer email :confused: As I wonder how many people that are keeping their phone line under pressure are asking similar things to me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to decontaminate the outside of your door, and wash all your items of course. #STAYSAFE :yuck:

I can't speak for any other supermarkets as Morrisons and Tesco are the only 2 I've used.

Of course any 'non chain supermarkets' that outsource their deliveries will leave your stuff wherever you want - the same as if it was a package from a delivery company - Holland and Barret, Amazon etc.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 SugarBuzz, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  14. Mikesee

Mikesee Type 1 · Member

Would have loved to have seen daily blood glucose levels from this poor chap.Havent seen any figures at all as to how this awful virus may effect bg levels.I suffer a lot of chest infections and always know when I need to get some anti biotics in me ASAP when bg levels go above 10+.Anyone seen any stories or links to Covid-19 sufferers and bg levels please?

15. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

There's a few of us on the forum who found their BGs stayed OK. This is a weird virus. Have a look at a thread called Beaten the virus. Sorry as a T2 not on insulin I didn't bother checking mine as there wasn't anything I could do about them anyway.

16. Mikesee

Mikesee Type 1 · Member

Thanks for the heads up,found that thread a very informative one.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook