Corrie and Cheesecake....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
anyone watching Coronation Street?! Some social worker has just turned down triple chocolate cheesecake because she is 'a diabetic' and she would 'like to indulge' but she can't - love it!! :lol: still, she got the offer of a 'special recipe cake for diabetics' so she's pleased now :wink: :p :lol:

broads

Wonder what the ingredients were for this 'special recipe cake for diabetics' . We shall never know.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
broads said:
Wonder what the ingredients were for this 'special recipe cake for diabetics' . We shall never know.

probably cardboard with an extra layer of cardboard with cardboard icing :wink:

Cowboyjim

That's the second time this week diabetes has been mentioned on a popular TV prog... also at the start of Dr Who and the Venetian Vampires also with ref to a cake... thought it was going somewhere but alas not. Tho I did wonder if there was potential in a story about a vampire who preferred diabetics because their blood was so much sweeter! 8)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She didn't look non too sweet though did she :lol: :lol: - actually there are some very good recipes for low carb cheescake on the net (use a sugar free jelly) - I may be wrong but I am sure there is one on this site in the recipe section - though the calories are still there so not a great idea if you are watching your weight :twisted: - definitely still a treat but not so naughty as to make you feel guilty

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I will wonder what the diabetic friendly cake will be - probably one of those susposed diabetic friendly recipes from the Balance mag..

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm all in favour of fictional diabetics showing restraint on the sugary stuff. There's entirely too much of the "eat anything and take more medication" attitude in the real diabetic world
Hana

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hanadr said:
I'm all in favour of fictional diabetics showing restraint on the sugary stuff. There's entirely too much of the "eat anything and take more medication" attitude in the real diabetic world
Hana

but there was no reference to her 'type' Hana, why should a well controlled type 1 have to avoid cake on occasion? Do you say these things to wind people up or do you really believe that type 1 diabetics have an 'eat anything and take more medication' attitude to life? Type 1 diabetics can't eat anything at all without taking medication. I personally don't eat anything I like at all times as I know I will be fat if I do. So I eat well, choose well and on occasion, I eat cake and add a bit more insulin into the equation. That is MY real diabetic world and long may it continue.

C

catherinecherub

hanadr said:
Hana

Whatever type we are Hana, we do what is best for us and we don't have to go to Confession if we eat a small treat. It is not a "guilty pleasure" for me and many others. It is an occasional pleasure.
Your definition of the real diabetic world is your interpretation and I sometimes wonder if you think your way is the only way.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Speaking of "guilty pleasures"...I ate a Cadbury's Flake this afternoon to celebrate my new HbA1c of 5.2. And I don't feel guilty at all!

PS I tested 2 hours after my treat and BG was only 5.2 so perhaps I can do it again one day! :D

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I want that recipe!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Speaking of "guilty pleasures"...I ate a Cadbury's Flake this afternoon to celebrate my new HbA1c of 5.2. And I don't feel guilty at all!

PS I tested 2 hours after my treat and BG was only 5.2 so perhaps I can do it again one day! :D

Hurrah for the 5.2! Fab news :D :D Flakes are what, 15g carbs? that is a guesstimate seeing as I don't have one within arms reach, dammit! 15g carbs would mean a bolus of around 0.8 units of insulin so no need to call the meds police if I allow myself a little indulgance :wink: :mrgreen: :twisted:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
Hana

Who's attitude is this then Hana?

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've probably as much experience of T1 as most posters on here, having been married to it for about 35 years. T1 husband was advised that all he had to do waas take so and so much insulin and eat up to it. this was in the beginning. Early Hba1c target was 10%
This was, because for his luck, he was diagnosed just when the attitude of eat anything started. DAFNE and MDI not yet instituted. Watching the carbs was ditched. It was a transitional time and I think much damage was done.
As to the eat anything attitude, I met a T1[mature onset caused by pancreatitis], who told me only last month that her dieticien told her she MUST eat 5 - 6 portions of carbohydrate a day to deal with her insulin.
So the take more medication attitude is still out there.
Perhaps your soap opera character had ha her daily or weekly ration of occasional treats and didn't want to take more medication.
I wouldn't know, I don't watch soaps.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

I notice, going through your posts Hana, that there was a time that you used to take Starlix so that you could up your carbs on occasions. Are you still doing that?
Your reference to eat anything and take more medication, is it aimed at all diabetics regardless of type?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
I've probably as much experience of T1 as most posters on here, having been married to it for about 35 years. T1 husband was advised that all he had to do waas take so and so much insulin and eat up to it. this was in the beginning. Early Hba1c target was 10%
This was, because for his luck, he was diagnosed just when the attitude of eat anything started. DAFNE and MDI not yet instituted. Watching the carbs was ditched. It was a transitional time and I think much damage was done.
As to the eat anything attitude, I met a T1[mature onset caused by pancreatitis], who told me only last month that her dieticien told her she MUST eat 5 - 6 portions of carbohydrate a day to deal with her insulin.
So the take more medication attitude is still out there.
Perhaps your soap opera character had ha her daily or weekly ration of occasional treats and didn't want to take more medication.
I wouldn't know, I don't watch soaps.
Hana

I don't think living with someone with type 1 is the same as having the condition yourself. I've been diabetic for nearly 30 years, and carb counting has always been the norm, remember carbohydrate exchanges? The only difference now is that times have moved forward, and courses like DAFNE are more focused on teaching patients to match the carb/insulin more precisely, and the knowledge and understanding of how modern day insulins work is far greater. Old practises like giving correction doses between meals are replaced with a more modern day approach to diabetes management.

As for the type 1 who told you that her dietitian said to eat 5-6 portions of carbohydrate a day, what is the problem here? Are you suggesting that 50-60g of carbs a day is to much for a type 1, if so you couldn't be further from the truth!

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

I have a friend whose husband is a postman. They have been married for 35yrs and she knows nothing about the Post Office and he knows nothing about her job as a Vet's Assistant. You cannot possibly know what it feels like to be a Type 1 unless you are a Type 1 and you have very little empathy for your fellow Type 2's.

You openly admit that you have used medication to enable you to eat more carbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Why is it that every time I visit this forum there seem to be people ganging up on Hana for what seem to me to be short comments with a lot of sense and not (as far as I can see) aimed at anyone in particular? Am I missing some kind of long running war?

There are a lot of diabetics out there who don't follow a sensible regime.
That is one reason why diabetes is such a major problem these days.

I know that when I was first diagnosed and went through all the introductions and education the health teams were generally surprised at my positive attitude and willingness to take immediate action to address diet and exercise instead of just asking for medication.

My impression was that a significant proportion of the newly diagnosed diabetics had a history of poor nutrition and inadequate exercise and their primary problem was lack of self control which had been a long standing issue - so understandably if they couldn't manage their weight and general health before being diagnosed they weren't suddenly going to improve overnight after diagnosis.

I do find it frustrating that the standard response to Type 2 diagnosis is 'loose weight and take more exercise' when I am not obese and I am am reasonably physically fit and take regular exercise. Silly, but it seems unfair that I don't have as much room to improve as many others.

So I think that the attitude of 'eat what you like and take some pills' is a reasonable description of may peoples approach to diabetes.

It is not a description of the people who are active in these discussions - but then (given that as much as 25% of the population is supposed to be diabetic or pre-diabetic) we are only a tiny but vocal minority.

Lighten up, people - we are supposed to be positive and supportive here!

LGC