cortisone cholesterol and diabetes on low carb diet

maggie2

Is there anyone who has to take cortisone on a regular basis and has put on weight because of this drug ? Also has their cholesterol reading
risen? I'm in a quandry about which way to go now. There is no diabetes clinic I can ask for help here in France . Should I perhaps reduce
to an absolute minimum cream cheese and butter for instance. If no-one is able to offer a suggestion on my problem perhaps I could think about
ringing a clinic in the uk? or is there somewhere I could write to?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you are concerned about how to avoid weight gain and avoid cholesterol rises while taking cortisone on a low carb diet, is that right?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is a tough situation. Cortisone is likely to push your blood sugar up. If you take insulin to counteract this rise, it may make you gain weight. On the other hand it may just push the blood sugar back into the liver where it came from. I think you may struggle to get the fat burning, ketone burning aspect of low carb working while you are taking cortisone. But that's just a theoretical answer, I don't have direct experience of it. Hopefully someone else does... bump.

Cholesterol. Well on la ow carb diet you would ordinarily not worry about total cholesterol, but instead look at things like your HDL cholesterol ratio and your triglyceride ratio. These results are what you get when you do a "full lipid" profile at your doctor or hospital. Also remember that eating fat in your diet does not raise your blood cholesterol, that's a myth. What causes your blood cholesterol to rise is if you have excess blood glucose (from carbs in your diet) and then your liver tries to turn that into fat for storage. And it can only make VLDL cholesterol for this, which is the worst kind.

However on a low carb diet plus steroids it might not be so straightforward.