Cortizone Injections and Insulin

stani36

Hi,

I had a shoulder operation on 22nd December 2009 after suffering with dreadful pain and not much movement for 4 years. The course of it is unknown all I can remember is waking up one morning feeling like I'd slept funny!

It's 4 weeks today since I had the operation and I'm still suffering with a lot of pain and discomfort, especially at night time. This is why I'm on here at 4am and not fast asleep!!

I had a follow up with my consultant/surgeon at St Peters Hospial, Chertsey yesterday and he explained how the operation went. He talked me through the photos taken during the operation and said it was the worst he had ever seen - joy! He asked how the pain was and was it better now or before the op. I said before the op. He has suggested about having a cortizone injection under general anasthetic next Monday to see if this helps with the pain and discomfort.

I'm a bit reluctant and am hoping someone can put my mind at rest. I was advised before my op that cortizone injections are not recommended for insluin dependant diabetics as it can crystalise with the insulin and cause further complications and this is why I was offered the op instead of the injection. Now the same consultant is saying I should have the injection, I'm confused!! Looking on the internet all I can find out is that it can play havoc with your blood sugars but I can cope with that. I'm back up the hospital today for the diabetic clinic and will also ask the consultant.

Is anyone able to offer any advice please? I'm sat here in floods of tears as I'm in sooooooo much pain and just need some reassurance that all is going to be ok I guess. I don't think I can take much more of this!

Thank you very much.

Tiff x

jopar

Stan

Hi, know exactly how you feel, it sounds like it what they call a frozen shoulder very painful and effects the mobility in that shoulder...

they normally try the coritizone first..

Setriods will put your blood glucose up, so you will have to monitor this very carefully and correct with insulin, the length of time that it will raise your BG is difficult to say, could be several days involved.. So monitoring very closely is important, and having a good supply of your fav hypo remendy just in case your the cortizone stops effecting your BG and you got spare insulin floating around your body.

I spoke to my diaebtic registra just before christmas, as I'm awaitng this injection for advice concerning counteracting bg's as I use a insulin pump... he explained that the effect of the steriods were mainly durning the day and not at night time, as the body only produces very little over night, main production is durnng the day..