Cost of meds?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in England. Can someone tell me the general cost of meds, such as Metformin and statins? I'm getting put on them next week and was just curious.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you not get them on the NHS ?if you have to pay, then metformin should be reasonably cheap while statins are expensive. In Cyprus I pay about 6 euro for metformin for a months supply, while depending on the kind of statin that would cost 5 to 10 times more. Sorry I can not be more helpful but this will give you an indication.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You will get free medication from now on, just ask for the form from the gp.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your answers. Yes, I will get it on the NHS. I was confused because I read elsewhere what Dawn said above - that diabetics get their meds for free. I was unsure whether this was for T1, T2 or both? Does this include only diabetic meds or ?

Thank you!

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One you are diagnosed as Diabetic whether Type 1 or Type 2 and put on diabetic meds - ALL your medications are free.

You need to get a form to get a medical exemption card - think I got mine from the Drs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you are diet/exercise only you don't get free meds. Its only when you are on diabetic meds you get it, but I may stand corrected.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all.
Yes, I am definitely being put on Metformin at least.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you get everything for free once your put on metformin, i read recently even if you stop them you carry on getting scrips free for 5 years afterwards (not sure how true that is)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you get everything for free once your put on metformin, i read recently even if you stop them you carry on getting scrips free for 5 years afterwards (not sure how true that is)
Probably because you have to renew the exemption every 5 years

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your medical exemption certificate lasts five years, that's how you would continue to get free meds during that time. When you get the renewal, I think it asks you if everything is still the same.

BTW @Fallgal think long and hard about statins, you don't have to take them and can refuse them, they just mark your notes that you have. There is no evidence that they do women any good.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Denise, I've been wondering about the statins, as I keep hearing conflicting info. My family has a history of heart disease and stroke. I am almost 47 and overweight (<-- obviously). Still no benefit? I need to do some serious research in the next couple days. My DN said the pros far outweigh the cons, but I took that advice with a grain of salt.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
good luck with the research, the more you read the more confused it all becomes and the harder the decision

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is very true as it is the position I am in. The medical exemption certificate is still valid and actually states you do not have to return it if/when your circumstances change

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped the statins when they took me from a reasonable 5.2 down to 3.0. I also took part in medical research where I had an MRI scan done on my heart and the cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with my heart, no calcium deposits etc.

Yes, my father died at 59 due to a heart attack, but I blame smoking 60 cigarettes a day and stress. I've never smoked.

A good place to start your research is http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/ and http://www.spacedoc.com/

This is an interesting article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-brogan-md/women-statins_b_4283650.html

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy - like most things in life it seems nowadays. LOL

Thanks very much, Denise! I will check out the links.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m in england and was put on 2 meds for diabetes and had to pay for them

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i,m in england and was put on 2 meds for diabetes and had to pay for them
You need to apply for a medical exemption - there is a form that you can get from your surgery