Cost saving strategies

itslindy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who complicate life unnecessarily. Bureaucracy.
Hello all

I've been taking the 'slow release' version of Metformin for the last two years (at least). The ordinary stuff gave me terrible stomach cramps.

I order my repeat prescriptions online via my surgery. The last lot I picked up were for the ordinary Metformin (i.e. not slow release). On querying this up with my surgery, I have been told that I have been switched from slow release to the ordinary form purely for money saving reasons.

How can this happen without consultation? As far as I was concerned, I had already given my GP enough reasons to switch me to SR. Two days into taking the non-slow release version, the old symptoms seem to have returned ... headaches, thirst, stomach cramps ... and now I have to jump through hoops to get my prescription changed back to what it's been for the last two years.

Anyone else out there suffering from the cutbacks?

Lynne

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Get your MP involved and your GP wont be able to do enough to please you .. and I write from recent experience!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hobs said:
Get your MP involved and your GP wont be able to do enough to please you .. and I write from recent experience!

Good advice from Hobs, the very fact that they couldn't be bothered to tell you face to face is disgraceful!

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Changing your medication without telling you is in breach of your human rights.
this is from The DUK leaflet on your rights

You have the right:

* to be given information about your treatment in advance, including any risks or benefits, alternative treatments and the risks if you do nothing
* to accept or refuse treatment offered to you, and not to be given any physical examination or treatment unless you have given valid consent
Hana

mrsmousemat

I had a lecture on 'cost saving' from the dispenser when I pointed out that the doctor had written a prescription for ordinary Metformin instead of SR.

I got the prescription changed... eventually, after running out of tablets, then had the same lecture on why we must 'cost save' from the chemist.

I thanked him for the information and said that I was grateful for his words of wisdom, as the news of the country being a tad short of money had completely passed me by.

I also changed chemists.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would have been tempted to point out that if I become ill from their changes, I'll cost them more than the few pennies they saved
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mrsmousemat said:
I had a lecture on 'cost saving' from the dispenser when I pointed out that the doctor had written a prescription for ordinary Metformin instead of SR.

I got the prescription changed... eventually, after running out of tablets, then had the same lecture on why we must 'cost save' from the chemist.

I thanked him for the information and said that I was grateful for his words of wisdom, as the news of the country being a tad short of money had completely passed me by.

I also changed chemists.

I can't really see why a pharmacist would be concerned or interested in the first place, his/her job is to dispense the drugs prescribed by your gp, you did right in changing chemist shops and I would have given him a lecture back on minding his own business! :x

Nigel

mrsmousemat

The dispenser, who deals with repeat prescriptions, recommended the chemist, when I joined the practice.

It was the dispenser that told me the prescription couldn't be changed.

I told the doctor I was willing to have my medication changed by a doctor - but not a dispenser. The doctor also said the dispenser had been trained up to 'reduce costs' and controlled what prescriptions doctor's could write.

I think the dispenser must have contacted the chemist, as he'd lost face. The chemist almost repeated the dispenser's: 'Don't you know that we have to reduce costs' lecture almost word for word.

All that resulted was that the dispenser's actions cost the chemist three people's prescriptions.

Dippy3103

I agree it is a disgraceful way to treat someone. Perhaps a sweeping change to all metformin prescriptions has been brought in at your surgery.
If I were in your shoes I would make an appointment to discuss my poorly tummy with my GP in the hope of getting it changed back.
Good luck