Could a BGL of 22.4 cause an upset stomach?

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys as the title confirms I haven't just fallen off the waggon i've ran and jumped wildly off of it breaking several limbs in the process. I have had the flu for the past week or so now and have been drinking a lot of Lucozade, ( the things we are given when we are small and poorly are always comforting aren't they? ) but today, very suddenly I became ill ( on the toilet for a long long time, in a lot of pain and very nauseous too ) and now I feel shaken, still cramping, and just awful. I took my blood glucose level on my meter for the first time in months and it came back as 22.4 so do you think its the high levels causing me to be ill or have i maybe just picked up something ( not sure how because Ive not been out ) ...I am normally not great with my eating habits i will be honest, recently Ive been better, eating foods from scratch I make and cutting down from a lot of chocolate to one wee 2 finger kitkat in the evening. Should I be worried? Other symptoms I am experiencing are wooziness, thirst ( I'm always thirsty so nothing new really ) stomach is feeling fragile now, nausea..

So will stop rambling and any ideas about this would be very appreciated, Tracy x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys as the title confirms I haven't just fallen off the waggon i've ran and jumped wildly off of it breaking several limbs in the process. I have had the flu for the past week or so now and have been drinking a lot of Lucozade, ( the things we are given when we are small and poorly are always comforting aren't they? ) but today, very suddenly I became ill ( on the toilet for a long long time, in a lot of pain and very nauseous too ) and now I feel shaken, still cramping, and just awful. I took my blood glucose level on my meter for the first time in months and it came back as 22.4 so do you think its the high levels causing me to be ill or have i maybe just picked up something ( not sure how because Ive not been out ) ...I am normally not great with my eating habits i will be honest, recently Ive been better, eating foods from scratch I make and cutting down from a lot of chocolate to one wee 2 finger kitkat in the evening. Should I be worried? Other symptoms I am experiencing are wooziness, thirst ( I'm always thirsty so nothing new really ) stomach is feeling fragile now, nausea..

So will stop rambling and any ideas about this would be very appreciated, Tracy x

Hi, kuromi, as a T1, I don't normally post on T2 threads (and I'm surprised that T2s haven't already replied to you), but I've got to say some of your symptoms are worrying.

Bg normally runs at about 5 or so, so you're 22 is 4 times higher than normal.

Forget about the fact for the moment that it'll be doing slow, steady damage throughout your body, and focus instead on you saying that you are feeling nauseous, cramping, woozy, thirsty.

Those are classic symptoms of dka, diabetic ketoacidosis. Dka kills. It almost killed me. Run too high for too long, bg gets too acidic, organs start to shut down, then you die.

I'm not saying that to frighten you. I'm saying that to encourage you to go to A&E very soon, preferably tonight, even though it's a Saturday.

It's the nausea bit which is concerning me. Like I say, I'm T1, I limped along a bit pre-dx (30 yrs ago so couldn't google it), was doing final exams, thinking go see gp when those were out of the way and it'll all be ok, finished the exams, a day later, started puking and got hauled into hospital.

That end stage where you start puking means dka is reaching end-game, and it happens rapidly, 12 hrs or so means living or dying.

If you're nauseous, it might just be the flu, but as you're at 22 and puking, I'd err on the side of caution and go see A&E immediately.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive never had numbers that high but I’d be getting some advice if they are over 20, possibly call 111, if they weren’t dropping again. It could be a bug or the flu or a reaction to a sudden carb overload if you’re not used to them anymore but better safe than sorry. Ps once you’re feeling better go for dark chocolate rather than kitkats, far less carbs.

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for replying , safe to say you've shocked me a bit, and the other half has just removed anything remotely tempting from the house ( crazy I know but I'm not liking this, I feel like I'm being told off ...at the same time I know thats ridiculously childish...and I am still craving sweet things ) Just taken bloods again and they have dropped slightly to just over 19 now. I am going to behave and see how things are in the morning, Ive not thrown up but still feel nauseous, if it comes to being sick I will take further steps of course. I know I need to get over my denial and sort this out, I have a wee girl who is highly autistic and she needs me around as long as is possible. Thank you again! xx

Reactions: Serena51

Kuromi2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the reply, I did try dark chocolate when I was first diagnosed... not the biggest fan haha...but yeah of course you're right, I will get this under control.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Scott-C. At least phone for advice, even if you're 'just' over 19 now.
I have a wee girl who is highly autistic and she needs me around as long as is possible.
Exactly.
Hope you'll be better soon!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply, I did try dark chocolate when I was first diagnosed... not the biggest fan haha...but yeah of course you're right, I will get this under control.
It gets better tasting as you lose the sweet tooth. A year ago I hated it. I started at 70% and have got up to 85%

I’ve no experience of dka but I know it can deteriorate rapidly. If you don’t seek advice tonight PLEASE don’t eat any carbs or sugar and keep checking it’s going down. ANY feeling worse in any way and get checked. Fast.

Also drink plenty of fluids and try going for a walk to help bring them down. Perhaps a family walk with the buggy?

We’re not telling you off, we’re concerned.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I used to feel sick and even vomit when my blood sugar was high , although I do not know what it was as I didn't test I just went to the doctors cos i felt so unwell, I did have a reading of 19.3 once back n November but i didn't feel ill at all .

The numbers came down fast as I calmed down so maybe you can check again see if the numbers are dropping . Try drinking just water it clears out your system . If you're worried call the NHS help line and they will advise you . Illness does raise sugar levels for sure , but 22 is probably a need for advice .

Please let us know how you are .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have mentioned, @Kuromi2 , it would be most unwise to ignore these symptoms.
You can get advice throughout the weekend by using the NHS 111 service if you are in UK . Phone them tonight, and let us know how you get on please.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Kuromi2

First stop drinking the Lucozade as it is very high suger that is putting up your BG.

Drink lots of water, idealy with a little salt. (Bonebroth is best but I expect you don't have any in the freezer.)

And go do A&E, tell them your BG and that you feal sick, they will know the quick test to do. Personally I would bypass 111 for this as GPs don't have the equipment for the test.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kuromi2 - If there was a "Strongly agree" button, I'd be pressing it for @Scott-C 's post. Numbers like you have seen, plus nausea, vomitting or other gastric issues should not be ignored. Even though your latest blood test started with a 1, that's still very high.

Please do consider a call to 111, at the very least. Personally, I'd want a medical opinion if it was myself or a loved one.

Moving forwards, if you are keen for a fizzy drink, there are lots of sugar-free versions, as you do need to keep hydrated when your tummy isn't good, but full sugar Lucozade is way, way over the top, and of course may have a place in influcening those numbers.

If in doubt, call out. We only pass this way once.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I,m also suspecting gluten intolerance with these symptoms . I'm no medical profession but my niece is type 1 and also celiac and these were her symptoms along with high blood numbers .

M

Member496333

@Kuromi2 please seek help immediately. Your diabetes is out of control, highly toxic and highly dangerous. Short term and long term. You must act. Start by pouring any remaining Lucozade down the sink.

Sorry if my tone sounds terse but now is not the time for platitudes. Diabetes kills.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would bypass 111 for this as GPs don't have the equipment for the test.
111 is a helpline run by health professionals . It then directs you to wherever is suitable, Pharmacist, GP, A&E or will call an ambulance for you themselves if they think it’s required. It’s not just out of hours gp service by a long way.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Could a BGL of 22.4 cause an upset stomach?

It would certainly make me feel queasy.