Could a Gluten Intolerance be a cause of RH?

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to figure something out

I have had RH as long as I Can remember, although only diagnosed when I was 30.
I have suffered acne since I was a teen (now 35) and it's been my life's mission to find the cause(it's also ruined my life)
They do not know the reason for my RH and had it since a toddler i guess.

I thought and still do wonder if I have a gluten intolerance as I have a lot of the symptoms. I had the blood test for Coeliac which was negative.

Since following a LCHF diet, cutting out gluten, all other grains and processed food my acne has finally gone (fingers crossed)

However I'm still wondering whether it's the low carb or gluten free that has done this. Unfortunately the two normally go together so when I've eaten out I've eaten both high carb and gluten, my symptoms then return.

I'm wondering if gluten sensitivity could have caused my RH, I've seen it in the huge list of symptoms.

I went out for the works Xmas dinner last weekend and had vegetable soup, turkey dinner(only a few small potatoes) then a raspberry pannacotta, which is obviously higher carb then what id normally eat but also not massively carb heavy.
The next DAY I had a breakout and felt extremely tired, I also had a bit of a belly ache. I have felt rubbish the whole week and 6 days after I had a hypo for the first time in months and also at an unusual time of the day for me. I also had a itchy lump come up on my ear, an itchy neck, runny nose as well as the dark circles under my eyes being noticeably worse.
Can all these symptoms just be down to the higher carbs?
I relate to a lot of things i read about coeliac disease /gluten intolerance but can go no further with the doctors.

There is a few things online linking gluten sensitivity and RH but not a lot.
Has anyone come across anything?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a long history of RH, but only recently discovered how much better I am when strictly gluten free.

If there is gluten in my diet, I get RH after relatively small amounts of carbs, and my psoriasis is ongoing.

If I remove the gluten, it takes about 2 weeks, but the psoriasis almost clears up, my carb tolerance improves, and my joints are less painful. Oh, and the RH disappears.

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunnerial so have you ever got tested for coeliac?
I've been searching online this evening and there are many people with coeliac reporting blood sugar issues across different forums, it's very interesting reading, a few I've come across diagnosed with hypoglycaemia young and then discovered they had coeliac after. It does suggest a link
I also hear of many people's struggles to get formally diagnosed as the testing is so unreliable.

I will carry on eating low carb and gluten free, but it would be interesting to know if gluten is the root problem for certain.
It's very hard when people don't take you seriously.

How do u find eating both low carb and gluten free when out?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, @SugarSpike
In my experience, and I'm not treading on Bruns toes here, but I have a grain intolerance but not gluten! Go figure! I have been tested, it's like I have a glucose, carb intolerance. It just triggers my insulin and it doesn't stop!
All grains have other stuff in that contributes to raising glucose levels.
Never mind how much it alters through the production process, with all the preservatives and additives, you never know what is in there.

You have just gone through the worst of trying to fit in when eating out and relaxing your dietary intake, it is tempting but is it worth the aftermath of trying to get your control back? I know for me it's not! Why make yourself ill for a few spuds etc?

I have occasional psoriasis, a burning itching in my arms, but it has been a lot better since diagnosis. I have heard and read about how diet can effect skin conditions, my niece has severe skin problems and weight problems. I suggested it could be her diet or lack of but totally ignored me!

You can only experiment and your experience with RH and gluten and how you keep control.

But there must be a relationship between carbs and how you feel and probably gluten must make it worse. On top of all my intolerance, I have a lactose intolerant. So dairy is out except for full fat yoghurt! Go figure! Weird or what?

Best wishes, hope you feel better soon.

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Lamont, do you mean you were tested for a grain intolerance?
I still have a slight headache a week and a half since eating out!
The problem is the symptoms are so many, it's like almost anything can be associated with a gluten intolerance.

I might go back to the GP probably be a waste of time but may as well give it a go.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
At the time when I was going through root of tests, I was tested for quite a number of foodstuffs including grains. Also my own personal food diary, I noticed that certain foods would spike me very quickly regardless of portion size.

Do get your GP to test for gluten.

Symptoms, I never realised I had quite a few that I never thought I had, it was only when my endocrinologist asked me to list them. Then asked me direct questions about my behaviour, anger issues and how I was coping.

Best wishes