Could I have diabetes type 2?

CLARA

Hi all,
I'm quite worried that I may have diabetes type 2 as my symptoms seem to match alot of the ones online. I realise that you can make yourself believe you have something when looking on sites but the coincidences seem too much. :(
The symptoms started a while ago but recently I am noticing more frequently. I had problems with urinary tract infections & was getting thrush alot I had a cystoscopy operation to help my infections but get thrush on a regular basis,also I have had it in my mouth twice but put this down to my asthma inhaler. I get athletes foot in summer too.
Lately at work I can't stop eating and if I don't have something sugary I go dizzy and/or really moody. I eat cereal at 2am in the morning! My eyes have started going blurry too but I work in an office at a pc all day! My legs are aching at night and I'm tired all the time and can sleep for 12 hrs if don't need to get up.
I was tested years ago at a roadshow for diabetes it was negative. I also get backaches,thirst & need the toilet many times a day. Do you think I should get tested? Everytime I go to doctors they test mt thyroid function! I am a 30 year old female and weigh 9 and a half stone & am 5"6 tall am I at risk??? Thanks Claire x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you are worried about this please go to your doctor and get checked out.The sooner you know one way or the other the better you can begin to understand and manage your diabetes.If it is not diabetes then other health checks can be done.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I would recommend being tested - if it is diabetes, you can control it, & if it is something else you need to know.

I was tested as part of a screening programme a few years before I was diagnosed - 500 ml of lucozade - & was negative then.

A quick test at a chemist will tell you if you blood sugar is raised. Go an hour or two after a meal. Better to go to the Dr.

Katharine

You may even have type one diabetes. Do see your doctor to get checked out. Many practice nurses would also be able to take blood tests from you if there is any delay in seeing a doctor.

I would advise as a minimum:

Fasting bs
hbaic
u and e

Trinkwasser

Katharine said:
You may even have type one diabetes. Do see your doctor to get checked out. Many practice nurses would also be able to take blood tests from you if there is any delay in seeing a doctor.

I would advise as a minimum:

Fasting bs
hbaic
u and e

Agreed - with the proviso that many people particularly women start with raised postprandial numbers before the FBG goes south. In view of my own experience of diagnosis being persistently denied I'd go belt and braces, get my own meter, test an hour after eating a few different meals and take the meter in with me.

CLARA

Hi everyone who replied I'm going to make an appt at docs for this friday if I can.The other thing that is worrying is that I've been on the contraceptive injection Deprovara for 3 years and on some sites it says there is a link between this and diabetes as it messes about with blood sugar. I'll let u know how it goes.Thanks for all the replies on here I feel much better.The thought of having diabetes really scared & upset me but when I find out at least I know there's people out there who can give me advice if I do get a positive diagnosis. Thanks again for taking the time it means alot to me,Take care Claire xxx