Could this be the end of home grown insulin?

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all,

So, was last weekends issues my pancreas having one last attempt to work as a pancreas should?

I decided going for a nice Friday evening run was a good idea, did what I have been doing recently and low carbing through the day to maintain blood glucose levels without the need for Bolas (novo rapid) through the day. I had a bowl of porridge before leaving the house and kept an eye on bloods (currently testing the freestyle libre, great bit of kit) did end up needing quite a few Gluco tablets while I was out but I was like a good Boy Scout, very well prepared! Anyway, this all ended pretty horridly over the weekend, I halved my basal (levemir) and had no bolus all weekend and my bloods just kept going down and down! I ate so much, big bowl of porridge in the morning, even a curry one night and still less basal no novorapid, it was rough!

Anyway this week has been the opposite, from needing very little novorapid, I now need loads in comparison (I know in the world of diabetes what I am taking isn't loads) I've had about 80-90g carbs today and I've had 4.5 units and still up at 10mmol and rising! Could this be the end of my honeymoon? Has my run killed my pancreas . I hope so as it was so hard to control not knowing what my pancreas was going to spit out!!

Did anyone else have a small spirt of pancreas energy before it gave out?

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
Yeah i had a similar experience.
Shortly after my diagnosis i came off Novo Rapid pretty much all together for months as i was hypoing all the time, my pancreas decided to start back up and have one last go!, Levemir morning and night only was keeping my levels within range in this time. I was lucky! and i was really enjoying it....
Then about a year in.. i noticed the numbers climbing and climbing.. needing my Levemir doses up-ing - nororapid for every meal, sometimes even correction doses if i hadn't calculated it well... and i never looked back! haha...
It's a roller coaster at first.. up and down. but you will notice when things start to change... maybe you already have!
Anyway, always come to the forum if you have any questions! someone will always help!
Maybe make an appointment to see your diabetic nurse, just chat her through whats going on and see what she suggests about altering insulin doses. Good luck! :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm nearly 4 months in and having a similar experience. It feels like my pancreas is having a last stand and I'm having to feed my insulin a bit. I've only reduced my basal dose once so far on advice of my DSN but sitting here after treating my second hypo of the last 8 hours I can see that reducing again soon. I've stopped correcting with my bolus as that would send me hypo but I'm still having it with food on the same ratio where I need to.

Even though I was told to expect this phase to be erratic it still caught me off guard a bit.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Did anyone else have a small spirt of pancreas energy before it gave out?

Unfortunately no, mine was dead and buried when diagnosed. It does look like the 'honeymoon' has ended, but with some tweaking with foods and Insulin, you will get back on track, take care and good luck.

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As I thought really, looks like my pancreas is taking early redundancy! I've been out for a 10 mile run this morning, felt great and controlled my bloods all day without having to treat hypo's every hour. I've been looking forward to it giving up for a while, sounds bad but it just caused problems producing insulin

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 3 yrs of age and my mother said it had many spirts on its way out.