Covid 19 causing increased incidence of Type 2?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s probably also uncovering lots of already diabetic but undiagnosed people, as well as tipping people over the edge into type 2 both from the disease itself and the steroid treatments used in hospitals - and there’s a rise in cases of type 1 alongside these too. That report is over a year old now so I’m sure that knowledge has been added to to some extent.

There’s an awful lot to learn about the long term effects of covid yet, likely for many organs and bodily processes.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @MrsA2
LInk as said does have cookie preferences

Easier then many to just select chosen.

Think @HSSS is on the money.

It came to me that many pregnant ladies seem to get gestational diabetes.

No expert, but perhaps due to the changes in body, maybe ?

A similar thing with covid perhaps

Add in the fact it has been reported it attacks multiple organs, not too hard to consider it could easily disrupt many and place them in diabetic territory.

Also the idea many, undetected are now being spotted.

If I'd of got covid before my DX, that would have been me.
No symptoms, so I thought, I was completely unaware

Guess that means, with the idea covid is going to be cycling through, with the expectation many, wether mild or not, will potentially be infected multiple times.

A good many more are going to consigned as disposable due to "other health issues "...:rolleyes:

Nice :banghead:

Dark Horse

The researchers addressed the problem of just revealing pre-existing but undiagnosed diabetes by having a control group of people with other upper respiratory tract infections. If Covid wasn't a particular risk factor, you would expect the rate of new diagnoses to be the same for the two groups. However it was actually higher in the group with Covid.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The researchers addressed the problem of just revealing pre-existing but undiagnosed diabetes by having a control group of people with other upper respiratory tract infections. If Covid wasn't a particular risk factor, you would expect the rate of new diagnoses to be the same for the two groups. However it was actually higher in the group with Covid.
Very true. The original post link was old enough that it didn’t seem to account for this and perhaps made the situation appear even worse that it is (which is quite bad enough). Admittedly I only read the summary not the full paper so I might be mistaken.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
It’s probably also uncovering lots of already diabetic but undiagnosed people, as well as tipping people over the edge into type 2 both from the disease itself and the steroid treatments used in hospitals - and there’s a rise in cases of type 1 alongside these too. That report is over a year old now so I’m sure that knowledge has been added to to some extent.

There’s an awful lot to learn about the long term effects of covid yet, likely for many organs and bodily processes.

Recent summary from a HMS study supports idea that some of the increase in diabetes seen in 2020 was possibly undiagnosed patients rather than Covid "causing" diabetes. Apparently it may also be a transient impact from the viral infection as approximately half the patients reverted to non diabetic BG levels when followed up a year later.
https://hms.harvard.edu/news/covid-diabetes

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was T2 already when I caught Covid. It took 18 months for my BGs to return to their pre covid levels. So I agree this may be a transient thing