1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid and glucose levels

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Dan S, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Dan S

Dan S · Newbie

Only got diagnosed three weeks ago and was just wondering if my glucose levels should increase significantly when I have covid? (Tested positive about three days ago and my levels have doubled in these three days)
    Thanks
    Dan

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Being Ill certainly can increase blood sugar levels or make them harder to control. there are sick day rules that are talked about to try and help manage

although sone of these from the NHS can tend to talk about keeping carbs up which for T2 May just make things worse

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dan S

Dan S · Newbie

Cheers mate, that is really helpful

4. Andydragon

Staff Member

What type are you?
    What sort of levels are you seeing?

5. Dan S

Dan S · Newbie

I am type 1 and my levels have jumped to between 14-20

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

Have you been told about sick day rules by your diabetic nurse? Are you testing for ketones? It’s very important to avoid diabetic ketoacidocis when you have an infection. Do look this up so you are aware of the symptoms. I hope you manage to lower your levels soon, easier said than done I know! Also drink plenty of water. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Sarahlouxoxo

Sarahlouxoxo · Member

I was diagnosed last week with type 1 was only released from hospital a few days ago from having DKA and my little one has just tested positive with Covid my diabetic nurse has told me to check my levels every 2 hours and check for ketones, wasnt given too much info about sick day rules so a bit weary about it all now!

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andydragon

Staff Member

That’s why I asked type, so that those with the better knowledge of type could come in and offer advice which they have done. I’m T2 so don’t want to lead you astray. When in doubt though, we aren’t medical experts and hopefully your diabetic team can help

hope it all settles back soon

10. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a T2, had Covid just after Christmas - very few symptoms (Sore throat, snotty nose, upset stomach), but my levels were running at about FBG of 13! fought every day to get them down, and at around 7pm were usually about 7.9mmol, but straight back up the next morning

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook