AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, this is all @Brunneria 's fault.

I've eaten my trial CoYo this morning at breakfast time and it was absolutely delicious, but outrageously expensive, per ml. At its level of deliciousness and texture, I can think of all sorts of applications. It's probably just as well MrB is away at the moment or I might have to consider hiding any subsequent supplies!

@Avocado Sevenfold ; have you tried these and/or tried to replicate it? I know you have worked your magic on loads of other stuff.

I'm currently looking on YouTube for videos/recipes, but wondered if anyone here had achieved a successful replication.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know you're a fan of the CoYo @Brunneria . YouTube uncovers this, which looks very simple. I'd want to achieve something thicker than hers appears to be, at the end of the video, although she does say it thickens more when refrigerated.

Experiments, here I come. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you're a fan of the CoYo @Brunneria . YouTube uncovers this, which looks very simple. I'd want to achieve something thicker than hers appears to be, at the end of the video, although she does say it thickens more when refrigerated.

Experiments, here I come. :)
Can I call round for tea at your place, in about 48 hours? Please.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
@AndBreathe
Sounds great, im very interested in the results, how thick did it get, and taste ?
I'm keen to try, await the results, let me know
:rolleyes:

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in this too. I'm concerned that I'm eating a lot of dairy with all the Greek Yorgurt I consume, but I nearly fainted in Tesco when I saw the price of CoYo.

I did wonder about making a PannaCotta style dessert with coconut milk, thickened/set with gelatin.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make yoghurt at home, cheap and I know whats in it, well basically nothing except full fat milk.
This looks delicious and I will try one but I dont have probiotic capsules. Should I Invest in them and have them after I have used it for the yoghurt? Are they ok for diabetics.
Also just a small suggestion, when you mix it, instead of mixing it with the fork, if you give it a whirl with hand blender, may be it turns out better as it will mix both the things well together, also I place my yoghurt overnight in oven which is dark and room temperature.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made my own cow's milk, set yoghurt for ages, so the proving/development conditions should be fine. My very first experiment will be with a decent quality cow's yoghurt live starter before I go buying probiotic powder or capsules. I imagine it should work, unless those lovely little bugs don't like coconut milk! I'll also add some coconut cream to make it very rich.

Obviously, it won't be lacto-free or initially quite so low carb, but, assuming it works, after a few iterations it should be fine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be making some, but not for 10 days or so.
When I do, I will make it up using the easi yo yog maker.

It will be very interesting to see the differences between the room temperature jar method and the 8 hrs in easi yo maker method.

But by the time I can let you know, you will all be old hands at this!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we possibly use normal live yoghurt with coconut milk? Any ideas

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be using a couple of tablespoons of live Greek yog as a starter culture.

I've done this before, during my soya yog phase. That worked perfectly. The same cultures switched happily from milk to soya milk, and it was delicious.

:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I've begun the ABCoYo experiment, using 1 can of coconut milk, 1 carton of cocnut cream and some decent full fat plain cow's milk yoghurt, to kick things off. I didn't have the time or inclination to shop for probiotics, and I don't need this to be lacto-free for health reasons.

I've had a peep at the concoction this morning, and tilted the container just a little bit. It's already very thick, so may just go like concrete by the time it gets to the fridge. If that's the case, it's likely to be a decent starter culture, and next time it'll either be a case of less coconut cream, which added significant texture from the start, or make a bigger batch, by using more coconut milk.

One of the videos I looked at whilst clicking through YouTube used frozen coconut meat, which can be acquired in Asian supermarkets, so there looks to be some fun experimentation coming up.

Has anyone else kicked theirs off yet?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
@AndBreathe
Yes I've got one started last night coconut milk and I Probiotic capsule and I added a spoon of full fat plain yogurt. for fun.
let you know what happens
:confused:

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started one last night with coconut milk and live yoghurt. Will update with results.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, newbie here, how did your yoghurt turn out?? I have tried this twice, in a lakeland yoghurt maker. The first time I ended up with some funky coloured bacteria floating on top. This next time after sterilising everything twice, I thought I would test temp. 51°C **** machine is going back and gonna use the oven light method....

Butttt, after 8hrs I put the jar in the fridge and this morning I am left with a thick crust of coconut oil on top (I am loath to get rid of as that stuff is expensive). A slim layer of coconut milk kefir and a huge amount of liquid on the bottom.
I broke the crust poured some if the kefir out and it is lovely but mmmm. Not coyo.
I used:

2 can's of biona organic coconut milk (highest % of coconut I could find).
1 packet of bio yoghurt starter
2 leaves of gelatine to set
1 tsp of coconut sugar to give bacteria something to eat.

Whilst it is not what I expected, at least it is going in the right direction. How has your's gone? Have you had success with another brand of milk? How about added powdered coconut milk, maggi brand I think?

TIA

Gravity - Carb x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience (3 batches so far) is that added heat is not a good thing for coconut yog.

Its summer, so i just leave the tub on the kitchen countertop and 72 hrs later, voila!

Come the winter, this may not be so successful, but i will cross that bridge when the temp in my kitchen changes to its usual arctic conditions, in November.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Really annoying, the phone app must of unlogged me as I don't have permission to post. Grrr.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it's working now.

Thanks Brunneria, my place is really warm so I will try your method next time...

Can I ask what brand of milk you use?
Cheers