Cracked Medtronic 640G Critical Failure Code!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
So, my pump started alarming last night with multiple Critical Failure Codes so had to disconnect and go back onto MDI. This morning, on closer inspection it appears there is a huge hairline crack which starts at the bottom of the rim of the battery cap and goes pretty much the full length down of the battery compartment!!! :(

I haven't dropped the pump so I'm not sure how this has happened and it's very worrying!! I certainly don't use any undue pressure or force when I change the battery and always use my clip to open/close it. It's almost exactly 6 months to the day that I got it and it's always tucked away clipped to middle of my bra or in a Hid-In pouch when I'm in bed.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry about talking to Medtronic in America, they'll start things running asap.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Yep, spoke to them straight away last night, they are shipping a new one out to me. It's still worrying though how this actually happened?! :-(

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, when I read your post, I switched on my reading lamp and had a look at my 640G, very carefully.

It is quite worrying, especially as the Veo was prone to cracking around the reservoir.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I will be checking my new one carefully every day from now on! It should be arriving tomorrow (tried delivering it today but the delivery firm this side of the pond, Isle of Man, was shut due to being BH) so delivering it to my work tomorrow fingers crossed!

Rubyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Greed! Religion! Eggs!
image.jpeg
I am on pump number 6 in a year due to cracks! Today I found a crack in this one (no.6) which I have only had for 4 weeks. It's been in a silicone skin since I had it and only taken out today for the first time to change the battery! This one is cracked all the way down the back but the other 5 were around the neck where you insert the reservoir.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That can't be right surely? I've had pumps for 12 years and even though I lead an active life, have children climbing all over me, and am very clumsy, I've never had a crack or any damage whatsoever.

Could you report the pump as not fit for purpose?

Rubyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Greed! Religion! Eggs!
Medtronic say they haven't had any reports of cracking in the 640g nor has Kings College London! I don't believe it! I couldn't take more care if I tried! After having so many break I am now paranoid! There must be a problem! The previous cracks were hairline and if I wasn't looking for them I probably wouldn't have found them. I could only see them with my glasses on! I think there are probably loads of people who have cracking but haven't. Noticed especially if they have them in a cover/case.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Report it to the appropriate authorities not just Medtronic if you think there's a problem.

I've never had to report a medical device but I have reported drugs. If there is a problem, then it's good to alert people, and then if they get other similar reports they can take a look.

I think @donnellysdogs knows about this as she's mentioned it before, I believe.

And I absolutely believe you didn't do anything wrong : )

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
View attachment 18355 I am on pump number 6 in a year due to cracks! Today I found a crack in this one (no.6) which I have only had for 4 weeks. It's been in a silicone skin since I had it and only taken out today for the first time to change the battery! This one is cracked all the way down the back but the other 5 were around the neck where you insert the reservoir.
My goodness, that crack is almost identical to the one I found in mine!! I have told Medtronic that other people I have spoken to on here are having similar problems and I have asked them to report back to me with a reason these cracks are happening. The email I got back today was that "these things happen from time to time but they will be sending it to the US to get it analysed". I have asked them to contact me once it's been analysed as I have a feeling there is an inherent defect with them by the looks of things! I'm not holding my breath though!!

PS, got my replacement pump today (thank God :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Rubyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Greed! Religion! Eggs!
My last two pumps have been returned to Medtronic via courier and both seem to have gone missing! So far I have not had any report or feedback. Medtronic are sending me pump 7 this morning. I downloaded my data early this morning so I have some for when I go up to Kings as once the pump has gone all your data is lost! Found something very strange on the data! 4 days show that I had NO Basal insulin! I don't change my tubing every two days but always check I've got plenty to last me for 3 and sometimes 4 days! I don't know if this was a pump error or my fault!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @tim2000s I'll make sure I do that!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sent YellowCard a message! :)

Reactions: 3 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have yet another crack in my 640G! Funnily enough it's in the same place as the last one that cracked! It's never been dropped of mishandled. Urgh! It's working but I'd best not get it wet!! Will be contacting them in the morning!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Do let us know how you get along.
I have the same pump and have just checked mine and all is ok.
This plastic casing is some sort of dare i say heavy duty plastic and should be able to with stand the occasional drop.
Quite possibly its a manufacturing defect during the injection molding process.

Don't forget to upload your pump data before you send it back.

Regards

Martin

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I will DEFINITELY be uploading my pump data before I send it back! I didn't get the chance to do that with the first pump as it got wet (I didn't realise it was cracked and got in the bath!!).

To add insult to injury my Freestyle Libre sensor fell off this morning and it still had three days left to run so I've emailed them too! Lol!

Urgh!!

Reactions: Engineer88