1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cramps in the legs

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by MikeTurin, Mar 22, 2017.

1. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday (and actually today) i've had a bad day at the office, was really tired and I got sleeping at 11 PM (early). Post prandial BG was 5.8 (103 on old money) I've took an apple pudding without added sugars and a couple of glass of red wine.
    Then at the middle of the night I got an ache in my left leg, just under the knee, a strong cramp.
    After a painful trip to the restroom and 400 mg of ibuprofen the pain vanished.

Should I be worried about this and check something? I hobe that was caused by tiredness...

2. plutoniumcard

plutoniumcard Type 2 · Active Member

3. shez

shez · Well-Known Member

I used to suffer cramp 2 or 3 times a night that was until I started taking magnesium tablets 2 a day and within a couple of days the cramps stopped haven't had any since

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. magsiesss

magsiesss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to suffer from almost nightly cramp - but (touch wood) have not had cramp in many months.

I think what helped me was that I walk almost daily ... I used to always have a tube of Ibuprofen handy (which seemed to help)

I think a lot of people get cramps, its not necessarily down to being diabetic ...

5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Make sure you do have enough salt in diet and also magnesium tablets or magnesium citrate powder helps?

Hard to know if you should be worried.. depends on your exercise, health, lifestyle etc..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe could be low salts? Normally I don't use table salt very much, maybe I could try some magneium-rich foods...
    I walk a couple of mile every day...

7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I know that I do not eat processed foods often ie no bread, pasta, rice, processed foods so I have to add salt in to my water for veg.

Got its benefit though as the water in saucepan goes over the patio and keeps it clean and weedfree!!

• Useful Useful x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook