creative peptides

howie

http://www.creativepeptides.se/company.html

anyone read about this? the reason some people remain complication free is apparently because their pancreas still produces some c-peptide so finally this company has got the funding for trials. previously no one would invest because the 'c-peptide' could not be patented and was therefore was not profitable.

hope this is rolled out soon!!!

also if anyone has anymore info on this it'd be great to hear it!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
mmmmmh.... :?

Whilst any research is great and I do hope they get results I am a sceptic by nature.
I read this little gem on the website:

Long-term complications of diabetes frequently develop despite insulin therapy and optimal blood glucose control
The major long-term complications in Type 1 diabetes are:
Nephropathy, resulting in gradual loss of kidney function, occurs in 20-30% of the patients after 15-20 years.
Neuropathy, resulting in reduced sensibility of the feet and lower legs, ulcer formation, gastrointestinal and sexual dysfunction, occurs in 30-50% of the patients after 15-20 years.
Retinopathy, resulting in retinal edema, hemorrhage and loss of vision, occurs in 40-60% of the patients after 15-20 years

The implication being that this only relates to a T1 ?
Not true, any Diabetic can develop these conditions.

The other thing it implies is that even if 'optimal' Bg control is achieved they will still develop the conditions ? Definition of Optimal: most desirable or satisfactory. (Merriam Webster)

Again, this is not true. If tight control of Bg levels is achieved by any Diabetic then if you look at the success stories on here and elsewhere you will see that people have slowed and even reversed various complications by keeping those Bg levels at levels which are far better than 'optimal'.

So I think it must be watch this space - but I wouldn't get your hopes up too soon Howie.

Ken.

howie

i do agree that optimum BG level control is the most important factor without a doubt, but those complications are slightly more commonly associated with type 1's, and that the type 2's who develop those might actually be actually c-peptide resistant as well as insulin resistant and are therefore susceptible to the same complications as type 1's. i don't think its a cure for complications or anything but just something that could be the non-proven reason why some people remain complication free, and may close the gap between diabetics with good control and non-diabetics.

lol i definitely agree with the definition of optimal though, a friend of mine with type 1 had a last Hba1c of 8% and they tell him that's fine and so he thinks so, my diabetic nurse would probably also agree, when we know full well a person without diabetes would never score that high some will still consider it as optimal.

all best,
howie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Howie, I don't know how aware you are of AllieBs 'you tube' crusade about of c peptide in (or lack of it ) injected insulin.) Theres some detail and a link to her blog here but its also balanced with some negative evidence on its possible value.
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2007/12/the-blasphemy-o.html
I hadn't read her blog for a while, sadly she has recently announced that she is going to need/have a kidney translpant.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It has been shown that it's the high blood sugar that causes complications, by damaging blood vessels. So that non-diabetics with above optimal ( >4.5% Hba1c) have a tendency toward contracting what would seem to be diabtic complications.
And whatever do the researchers call "GOOD" control nowadays? The target for diabetics of <7% is rarely met and WAY above optimal.
I learned a week ago that only about 50% or fewer of the 14,000 diabetics in the care of my PCT achieve lower than 7.5% :shock: . Would adding c-peptide to the insulin for the proportion of those people who are T1 or T2 insulin users, make any difference :? ?
Changing the diet is quicker and cheaper. :evil:

howie

thanks for that link phoenix, sad to hear allie needs a transplant. if she needs one what's the hope for the rest of us!

i think most studies accept hba1c of 6.5% as optimal for over 21's anyway. but obviously that might not take into account their averages throughout the years or smoking & drinking habits.

i'm just looking for the reason why i only ever hear that i can only minimise my chances of complications. maybe c-peptide will give us that added protection.