Creon

Oicair

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I don't think that I'm classified as a 3c, but I do share similarities with your condition.
My pancreas was removed a while back, which is the reason why I'm diabetic and have to take Creon to process the food I eat.

I'm sure many of you have to take Creon as well.

I would just like to know how much Creon (or similar) do you approximately need? I take 1 25000 lipase unit capsule for 4g of fat I eat, and it seems to work for me if I eat relatively low fat food. High fat foods (chocolate etc.) don't get digested at all in larger (more than 40g) quantities.

Also, how many capsules do you end up eating per day on average? I rarely go below 25...

S

Shar67

I think it is very unique to the person, some need the minimum others take lots, since I became veggie I have cut right down, mainly to cover vegetable oil I use, but although they are for fat and protein I do find they help with overall digestion. Though I still cannot digest leafy veg (it's always the stuff you like that causes most problems, hate quorn but body seems to like it)

As you have had a TP you will be type3c, oh and welcome, are you on Facebook there is a page called the pancreatic tree for people like us

M

mrspuddleduck

Ive no pancreatic function and at the moment I'm on approx 20 x 25000 capsules a day. Been on them for nearly 17 years!

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I take about 12 x 25,000 a day on average. Usually 1-4 depending on snack / meal.
Do you take them before food, during.....??

S

Shar67

The label says take them before, I find if I take them before, during and after it works, it is trial and error

M

mrspuddleduck

I think the key to Creon is to take them close to eating. I rarely take them before a meal, normally during or just after.

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Creon is so individual. No one is the same and you'll find that you'll change over years or in fact with different types of food etc. You'll get bad days/good days when you need more or less.
I find I need way more than usual with a rich pasta dish. Not so much with chips. It's all very individual. Don't compare yourself to anyone else..after a couple of months you'll know how everything effects you.

I honestly though wouldn't restrict yourself to using 25,000. There are 10,000 and 40,000 strengths on the market. 10s are good for snacks etc. 40s are great for rich meals/a set course meal.
Also there are other brands of enzymes you can try if creon doesn't seem to be doing the trick.,

You should never take creon after a meal otherwise it's just chasing your food. Either all before if you don't want a lot of hassle or some before and some mid way. The latter usually works for me as I'm a fussy eater and sometimes don't eat all my food!

Reactions: 3 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Creon is so individual. No one is the same and you'll find that you'll change over years or in fact with different types of food etc. You'll get bad days/good days when you need more or less.
I find I need way more than usual with a rich pasta dish. Not so much with chips. It's all very individual. Don't compare yourself to anyone else..after a couple of months you'll know how everything effects you.

I honestly though wouldn't restrict yourself to using 25,000. There are 10,000 and 40,000 strengths on the market. 10s are good for snacks etc. 40s are great for rich meals/a set course meal.
Also there are other brands of enzymes you can try if creon doesn't seem to be doing the trick.,

You should never take creon after a meal otherwise it's just chasing your food. Either all before if you don't want a lot of hassle or some before and some mid way. The latter usually works for me as I'm a fussy eater and sometimes don't eat all my food!
@SunnyDuck they don't manufacture 40000 any more and the 10000 are primarily designed for children with CF although I'm aware of a few adults who use them xx

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought they just halted production due to a lack of supply? Didn't think it had totally been stopped? Nutrizyme do a similar strength I believe. I know some adults who only use 10s down to personal preference. But they are more for snacks/people with low needs. Still good to have around though

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I thought they just halted production due to a lack of supply? Didn't think it had totally been stopped? Nutrizyme do a similar strength I believe. I know some adults who only use 10s down to personal preference. But they are more for snacks/people with low needs. Still good to have around though
Hi @SunnyDuck the dietician I see went on a Creon course. They were told that although the company were saying they may reintroduce the 40000, it would depend on several factors such as cost, demand & supply of the pigs. She is cynical about them actually doing because of course we have all had to be changed to the 25000 now. Personally I preferred to 40000 it definately suited me better! Xx
Edited to add - as far as I'm aware in the UK there is no medically license alternative to Creon. Nutrizyme etc are I think vitamin supplements with some added enzymes and do not treat pancreatic exocrine deficiency.

Last edited:

Oicair

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all the responses. Do keep the discussion going!

It would be great to see the 40k coming back.

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You should never take creon after a meal otherwise it's just chasing your food. Either all before if you don't want a lot of hassle or some before and some mid way.

Mrs Puddleduck said

"I think the key to Creon is to take them close to eating. I rarely take them before a meal, normally during or just after."

It's another thing people disagree on. Personally I take before and during. I read on a panc. cancer website "only before and with cold water" in the end if it works it works I suppose.....does the capsule have to dissolve in the secondary something?? i.e. timing is crucial?

Here's one my Dietician, well a few of them don't get, now I'm not clear the answer as well. Though I've personally finished experimenting.
I adjust the amount creon per snack / meal. Why am I not able to have loads creon and tuck into a fry up?

Reactions: 3 people

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The label says take them before, I find if I take them before, during and after it works, it is trial and error

My label says take "with" meal or can swallow contents. Again "someone says" if you swallow without capsule enzymes will be dead before they are required. Years ago I asked my Dr how i would digest the capsules without the contents of the capsules to do it, but we have stuff slushing about to do that.

S

Shar67

Enzymes are activated by saliva and gastric fluids, I did a silly thing one day, I popped two pills in my mouth on way to dinner table they were on my tongue for about 10 seconds when the capsule dissolved and enzymes started to digest my tongue, not great, on the 40,000 ones info said you could split capsule and take enzymes with yogurt or similar, the idea is to get them in with plenty of water, at a time you find best, I personally think 4 just before, 4 during and 4 after is my ideal depending what I'm eatin, but it is a very personal thing my way might not work for you, you will know what is right when your poop is fairly normal, too much constipation, not enough steat.

S

Shar67

image.jpeg

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
, you will know what is right when your poop is fairly normal, too much constipation, not enough steat.

Even this varies between people. On the pancreatitis website I've seen only symptom of too much is itchy bum. Also I rarely got steat but found it seemed to ease pain a lot......sometimes...

S

Shar67

Course it varies but you knew your own poop, my normal now is nothing like it was before panc gave up every now and then I get an old normal it's a celebration, I tell my family and friends brightens up the day knowing your poop was good type 4

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Course it varies but you knew your own poop, my normal now is nothing like it was before panc gave up every now and then I get an old normal it's a celebration, I tell my family and friends brightens up the day knowing your poop was good type 4

@Shar67 I love you sometimes!! :D
:D xx

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

Lol. But of course this was written "On the pancreatitis website I've seen only symptom of too much is itchy bum" which doesnt mention poop at all! So knowing yer poop is nothing to do with it! According to some that is. I think a normal one is a coincidence where constipation (who knows why) meets runny (who knows why) = normal (chance)