culd this b diabetes and wat 2 do

jtams

my 3 year old daughter has alays bin fit and healthy then in december an abcess appeared on her toe shes had 2 operations and had it removed diabeties was mentioned as there was no obvious cause since her attitude and behaviour is bad even at school she drinks a lot bt nt excessivly and is tired and pale av jst done a prick test was 7.2? when mentiond to the doctors they said cant test her as she 2 young? i dnt knw wat 2 do where 2 go or even what to think

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hello and welcome to the forum jtams. Afraid I can't help you with this one, but there are plenty of people who will be on later that can.

Regards, Tubs.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried ringing NHS direct? They might be able to tell you what age diabetes can be diagnosed and what the symptoms are in a child that young. They aren't always that great, but they can be helpful sometimes. it's 0845 4647.
I don't know much about diabetes in children or type 1 diabetes, so can't really help much. I don't self-test for blood sugar so I don't know if that's high or low really.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Jtams,
Diabetes in children can appear at any age, there is on mother on the forum whos son was diagnosed at 8months old. Blood sugars don't seem too high when you tested, but that doesn't mean its not the start of something. If your really worried and have what sounds like an uneducated doctor i suggest you ring NHS direct as mentioned by HLW, or head to the treatment room at your clinic with a urine sample.
Children can go down hill very quickly, if you smell a pear drop smell on her breath or in her urine, her blood sugars high or your instinct just tells you somethings not quite right, then head straight for casualty.
kind regards
Suzi x

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
The story about her being too young to test for diabetes is absolute pain rubbish.

I would go and see another doctor, and as pointed out, keep an eye (or nose?) out for that pear drop smell on her breathe... I have heard that some people can't smell it at all, so watch her fluid intake as well... if it seems excessive, then go to the hospital... but remember not to deprive her of any fluids that she's craving, obviously dont give her energy drinks of sugary stuff, water is ideal.

We pee alot when sugar levels are high becasue it's a way our bodies get rid of the excess sugar in our blood... through our bladder...