1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

culd this b diabetes and wat 2 do

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by jtams, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jtams

jtams · Newbie

my 3 year old daughter has alays bin fit and healthy then in december an abcess appeared on her toe shes had 2 operations and had it removed diabeties was mentioned as there was no obvious cause since her attitude and behaviour is bad even at school she drinks a lot bt nt excessivly and is tired and pale av jst done a prick test was 7.2? when mentiond to the doctors they said cant test her as she 2 young? i dnt knw wat 2 do where 2 go or even what to think

2. tubolard

tubolard · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum jtams. Afraid I can't help you with this one, but there are plenty of people who will be on later that can.

Regards, Tubs.

3. HLW

HLW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried ringing NHS direct? They might be able to tell you what age diabetes can be diagnosed and what the symptoms are in a child that young. They aren't always that great, but they can be helpful sometimes. it's 0845 4647.
    I don't know much about diabetes in children or type 1 diabetes, so can't really help much. I don't self-test for blood sugar so I don't know if that's high or low really.

4. suzi

suzi · Well-Known Member

Hi Jtams,
    Diabetes in children can appear at any age, there is on mother on the forum whos son was diagnosed at 8months old. Blood sugars don't seem too high when you tested, but that doesn't mean its not the start of something. If your really worried and have what sounds like an uneducated doctor i suggest you ring NHS direct as mentioned by HLW, or head to the treatment room at your clinic with a urine sample.
    Children can go down hill very quickly, if you smell a pear drop smell on her breath or in her urine, her blood sugars high or your instinct just tells you somethings not quite right, then head straight for casualty.
    kind regards
    Suzi x

5. Stuboy

Stuboy · Well-Known Member

The story about her being too young to test for diabetes is absolute pain rubbish.

I would go and see another doctor, and as pointed out, keep an eye (or nose?) out for that pear drop smell on her breathe... I have heard that some people can't smell it at all, so watch her fluid intake as well... if it seems excessive, then go to the hospital... but remember not to deprive her of any fluids that she's craving, obviously dont give her energy drinks of sugary stuff, water is ideal.

We pee alot when sugar levels are high becasue it's a way our bodies get rid of the excess sugar in our blood... through our bladder...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook