Curious for a friend

JJ4

When someone who is not diabetic but who is on 1500mg of Metformin, eats pasta. What *should* happen to their BS reading? Should it shoot up? I mean, non diabetics not on Metformin don't shoot up after eating that do they and since she is not diabetic, she shouldn't either, right??

I'm asking for a friend of a friend and didn't actually know what to say in answer as I was unsure.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Even a non diabetics BS will go up with pasta but the difference is their own insulin production will control it and bring it down to normal levels quite quickly.As a matter of interest why is a non diabetic on Metformin?

JJ4

Thanks for the swift reply!

She has PCOS but she has high readings fairly regularly and is feeling pretty rubbish.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Anyone who regularly has high BGs needs to be checked out by the doctor.

timewarp

Hi

I am on Met and get some very odd readings.

Pasta sends me high but then decreases BG rapidly...

Peanuts send me sky high for a much longer time..

How does your friend get on with Met, I feel better on it but my stomach would not agree :roll:

JJ4

She doesn't like it to begin with, she has stopped and started it before now but overal, she's on it to regulate her hormones as she's trying for her 4th child.

Apparently diabetics experience less severe nasty symptoms on it than non-diabetics. I don't know how true that is after reading these forums but for myself, I've taken it for PCOS and had horrible side effects but hubby takes it and has had none.