cutting back on insulin???

RebeccaSmith

i've been to my doctors for blood tests because i'm constantly tired, get dizzy sometimes, have aches and pains in my joints, particularly my knees, kneck and back, i have bad boughts of nausia everyday and suffer from headaches, although i am on migraine medication which i have been on for years.
blood tests have come back totally normal, but recently, my blood sugar levels have been low constantly and i'm very scared about this.
i went on lantus - the 24 hour flow - a few months back and it was all fine. I haven't changed the dose in the last month and a half and my morning readings are betwen 4 and 7, but i've had to cut back on my humalog insulin doses...... my morning dose is now 1.5 units when i previously took 8 and my evening dose is now 20 instead of 23.
i haven't changed weight or height, i haven't increased or decreased exercise....i really am confused. i have a diabetic appointment with my consultant on Dec 9th, but is it worth calling beforehand?
any suggestions or adivce would be great, thank you.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rebecca, when are you going low?
If it is in the period up to 2 hours after your fast insuli, that is most likely tobe the culprit.
If it is more than 2-3 hours after your meal time insulin, it maybe that the lantus is still too high.
Unfortunately we do change, overtime (hormones, but also any residual insulin funtion). At one time I took 18u lantus, I now take abouts 10 units of basal (in a pump so that part of it but my needs have also fallen)
To be honest, you shouldn't have to worry, call your doc if you are.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya rebecca,
i totally agree with what has been said, i actually need less insulin when its colder, if you dont feel u can manage changing doses yourself then ring the diabetic clinic for advise :D

goji

Hi Rebecca

I agree with the others, perhaps ring your clinic and ask for advice on how to adjust the doses.

Maybe when you go for your appointment, ask the diabetologist to check your cortisol levels. Low cortisol (addison's) can present as recurrent hypoglycemia and reduced insulin intake in Type 1 diabetics ....

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/312/7046/1601

...and is accompanied by symptoms like nausea, dizziness, joint and muscle pains and severe fatigue. Usually you would expect to see weight loss and appetite loss too though.

Addison's is extremely rare so it is unlikely that you have this but you could at least be screened as it is an autoimmune disease and so is slightly more common in people with Type 1 diabetes than in the general population.

Goji

RebeccaSmith

thanks for the speedy replies :)
okay, i'm a little more relaxed now :) i will speak to him as i don't want to adjust the lantus when i'm waking up with them normal, because when i was on 9 units of lantus, i was waking up with 12's and quite high generally.
it's usually on the threshold of 2 hours that i go low, although it can be sooner.
i assume they would have tested the cortisol in my blood...if you can test it with the blood :) the doctor did measure my blood pressure which was picture perfect and so said that it would be bizzarre if it was addisons.
i'll speak to my diabetes man and see how it goes.
thank you for the advice :)