Cycling team

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone seen the video on the BBC sport section of the novo nordisk cycling team. Each member is T1 quite an inspiring video. Makes me want to get up and move my backside a bit

Reactions: 5 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I went out for my first ride of the year yesterday, did 18km. Type 1 just makes me want to do it more ;)

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone seen the video on the BBC sport section of the novo nordisk cycling team. Each member is T1 quite an inspiring video. Makes me want to get up and move my backside a bit
One of the founding members of the team spoke at the recent TAD Talk in London. He was, apparently, very inspiring.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went out for my first ride of the year yesterday, did 18km. Type 1 just makes me want to do it more ;)

Type 1 has me made me run and cycle further than I've ever done before. I make it a competition with myself - how hard can I push myself, how will my glucose levels respond etc.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Totally agree with what they are saying in the video, although wouldn't eat what was on their menu :-(.

Without exercise my blood sugar is very unpredictable. I had a week off in 2014 and didn't do any exercise at all , blood sugar was all over the place. Cycling produces the best results for me and I do it daily (weekdays) commuting to work.

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found the same. I cycle around 11miles a day during the week and often clock up another 20-40 over the weekend. My job isn't always office based so on days I can't cycle I do more tests and if off my bike for more than a couple of days, have to boost my insulin a little to accommodate. I have a Brompton so I try and take it on holiday (French gites / road trips to Italy) but I also have a short gym routine that I do with a couple of free weights, my own body weight and the stretchy rubber bands. That's a useful stop gap substitute if life gets in the way of a good pedal.

Reactions: 2 people

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually got some advices from one of the riders (that I managed to contact through another forum) about training and nutrition prior to riding Lands End to John Ogroats. Very useful info too. Great to see that theres T1's actually competing at that level of sport and have time for others!