Cyrus opinion on Ketosis and the Ketogenic Diet

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The never ending debate on the long term safety of ketogenic diet.

But at least now there is an agreement that it will flatline glucose levels...

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon

I think I've learned to distrust 'debunking', fact-checking or anything that confuses 'facts' with opinions. Especially when there are vested interests involved. So the first mythbusted rather put me off, ie 'insulin is your fat storage hormone'.

That's pretty typical of this kind of 'debunking' presentation, ie setting up strawmen and then framing the argument in favor of whatever they're selling.

IMHO, it's a reasonable description of what insulin does. So normal person may have 6-7g of (total) blood sugars floating around. If that increases, insulin's produced to get deal with any excess. So a 'use it, or lose it' response. Or store it for later, ie in lipocytes, so fat gain and thus weight gain.. And then increased visceral fat leading to insulin/metabolic syndrome, and why we're here.

The rest seemed to dance around the differences between food intake and the results of from those foods, which is again pretty normal as the presenter's selling a $29/month coaching service. That's promoting veganism, which isn't without it's own risks, and for me, ignores something very fundamental. We're not evolved to be vegan. We're evolved to use energy from veg/meat/fats and so have the processes to use or store energy from carbs, fats or proteins. We even used our large cranial capacities and opposable thumbs to be able to convert herbivores, which can process plants better than us into more nutritious foods like bacon. When vegans start evolving the same digestive systems as ruminants, then maybe I'll consider it a 'natural' diet.. For them at least.

Reactions: kokhongw

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some interesting bits with points of agreement with other hypotheses re the role of liver / visceral fat in Type 2
He was sloppy in terms of what he was discussing - kept shifting between low carb and ketogenic ways of eating and thereby implying they are the same, which obviously they aren't - keto being one end of low carb

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Though it is confusing as ketosis is fat burning, which someone eating maybe 100gm of carbs a day but doing a lot of strenuous activity could be doing.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"We even used our large cranial capacities and opposable thumbs to be able to convert herbivores, which can process plants better than us into more nutritious foods like bacon."

Pigs are not really herbivores they will eat anything they can get their teeth on including at odd times the odd human or two.

Reactions: first14808

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some bloke called Cyrus who has a PhD says so, all other opinions and arguments must therefore be irrelevant

PS And it’s a video on the internet so that makes it even more certain he must be right !!!!

Reactions: first14808

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pigs are not really herbivores they will eat anything they can get their teeth on including at odd times the odd human or two.

I was using the Cyrus method to work in bacon. Plus I have no knowledge of the long pig to short pig metabolic processes. Your honour. I did hear comments from the meat industry saying 'If you want them fat, feed'em corn, lean, feed'em green'. The video mentioned animals used insulin, but somehow neglected that if you feed them excess carbs, you get much the same results as you do with humans :)