DAFNE and diabetes education petition

Snodger

I've just received this and thought it might be of interest to others on here, since there's quite a DAFNE fan base out there.

The DAFNE User Action Group (DUAG) have submitted an e-petition to the UK Government for national funded education programmes for people with diabetes. The petition requires 100,000 signatures to be considered for a debate in the House of Commons. If successful this could have an impact on DAFNE becoming a government funded programme, thus removing the need for central contributions.
Follow this link to sign the petition
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41345
If the DUAG e-petition gets at least 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for debate in the House of Commons.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Re: DAFNE petition

This petition is for a "national structured education programme for diabetics", hence spreads its net much wider than the narrow T1/DAFNE arena and should be supported by all diabetics. :clap: :clap: :clap:

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never been on a DAFNE and have been diabetic for 20 years, my doctor keeps saying he'll let me know when there's a course but have heard nothing as of yet.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think this is a really good idea, after diagnosis there really isn't much education provided unless people seek it out themselves. If people just get on with things and don't ask questions there's not very much extra that's provided. If there was a continuous course on the best treatments and ways to cope better with your diabetes there might be fewer complications saving money for the NHS in the long run.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Just download and read this document which is the main point of DafNe regarding Carb Counting and Insulin adjustment ..

Carbs count e-book – An introduction to carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment.
https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/usr/downloads/Carbs-Count-2012-reduced.pdf

Right click .. "Save link as.."

I've been a Type 1 for 43 years, and recently decided to get up to date with what is available on the internet, and this is really good.

You need to know what your IC ratio (Insulin to Carbs Ratio) is for EACH meal, and record all your BG, Carbs etc and you will find it is relatively easy to control your BG ... then ... no complications in the long term ...that's me!

ellybee

Are there any DAFNE or similar courses available for type 2 diabetics dependent on insulin. My diabetes nurse has been teaching me how to carb count; but before this I was estimating the insulin to the size of the meal I was eating; i.e. big dinner plate lots of insulin :shock: Because of this I managed to put on most of the weight I'd lost on Victoza :shock: :oops: If I had been introduced to carb counting at the outset rather than muddling through for nearly a year on my own maybe I wouldn't have put on so much :? :oops:

Shaun IDD1970

Signed petition.

I was helped greatly recently by a phone APP :D that details "carbs and cals" per item in a meal. I looked at all the foodstuffs and quantities and now understand much better how to reconcile (short-acting) insulin with what I eat.